auto dimming mirrors..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridin Solo

Brain Ninja
Reaction score
Soo I'm new here and have a question... The auto dimming mirror on the driver side door and windshield are acting weird. They dim themselves during the day as if it's night time and somebody is shining a light at them. And at night, they don't dim at all.. It's been going on for about a week now, really annoying. Has this happened to anybody and if so how might I fix it?

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
happened to me. and i have no idea how to fix it. after bout a year i just learned to deal with it. it is really annoying tho. i read all the books, and reset it all like it told me. and nothing helped.

OP
OP
R

Ridin Solo

Brain Ninja
Reaction score
So I'm gonna have to deal with driving like I'm blind? With 5% tint all around that's not what I call fun haha

Sam Hamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so explain whats happening again. maybe im really dumb but im really comfused haha

OP
OP
R

Ridin Solo

Brain Ninja
Reaction score
Lol. Ok. Lemme see if I can reword this. The driver side mirror and rear-view mirror are supposed to dim automatically at night if they detect a bright light that may or may not make it hard to see. And not be dim (dark) during the day. However for the last week or so the mirrors are dark during the day (like they should be at night). And at night (when they should be dark most of the time) they aren't. Obviously something is wrong with them. So my question was/is - has this happened to anybody else and if so, how might I go about fixing the problem. Because with them being dark during the day and me having 5% tint all around it's pretty much like driving blind which is annoying haha

Sorry for confusing you. Hopefully I explained better this time around.

thunderii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it must be your sensors. I dont know if those outside mirrors are connected to your dashboard sensor. I know rear view mirror from inside has it's own sensor built-in. Make sure your dash sensor isn't covered and see if this solves the problem.

OP
OP
R

Ridin Solo

Brain Ninja
Reaction score
Can you tell me where that's at so I know where to look?

nevermind, i got it. Thanks for the suggestion/help! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner..

Last edited:

Sam Hamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Ok. Lemme see if I can reword this. The driver side mirror and rear-view mirror are supposed to dim automatically at night if they detect a bright light that may or may not make it hard to see. And not be dim (dark) during the day. However for the last week or so the mirrors are dark during the day (like they should be at night). And at night (when they should be dark most of the time) they aren't. Obviously something is wrong with them. So my question was/is - has this happened to anybody else and if so, how might I go about fixing the problem. Because with them being dark during the day and me having 5% tint all around it's pretty much like driving blind which is annoying haha

Sorry for confusing you. Hopefully I explained better this time around.

oh man you didnt explain it wrong i have just never heard of our trucks doing this. i have a 03 escalade. would it have it? if so i have never noticed.

thunderii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did it helped? did you have dash cover that coverd the sensor? I'm curious to know.

Can you tell me where that's at so I know where to look?

nevermind, i got it. Thanks for the suggestion/help! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner..

OP
OP
R

Ridin Solo

Brain Ninja
Reaction score
did it helped? did you have dash cover that coverd the sensor? I'm curious to know.

Actually, I had goggles for snowboarding hooked on my rear-view mirror.. The sensor is on the back of the rear-view mirror for the auto dimming feature. So once you said something about a sensor, I went out and removed my goggles and ****, fixed.. like magic lol I guess the strap for the goggles was blocking the sensor so it couldn't tell if it was day or night, go figure. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879