Auto-dimming gauge cluster, HUD, infotainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HUD for sure. I guess the instruments actually seemed fine and didn’t really brighten any more when I pressed the dash button.
The Hud is a little more finicky, I agree, I have noticed it tends to have a bit of a mind of its own...altough I have found a setting in daylight that seems to satisfy me, and it seems to dim enough at night that it seems correct.

Suggest:
1) In Daylight, set the dash brightness how you want and the HUD brightness how you want.
2) Cover the Ambient light sensor (on the dash, center, near the dash speaker, looks like a little black trapazoid) with a hat or rag or piece of paper, until the headlights come on.
3) Set the HUD brightness and dash brightness how you want again (your nighttime setting).
4) Uncover the ambient light sensor, dash and HUD should go back to your daytime settings.

OP
OP
B

BrotriX

Reaction score
The Hud is a little more finicky, I agree, I have noticed it tends to have a bit of a mind of its own...altough I have found a setting in daylight that seems to satisfy me, and it seems to dim enough at night that it seems correct.

Suggest:
1) In Daylight, set the dash brightness how you want and the HUD brightness how you want.
2) Cover the Ambient light sensor (on the dash, center, near the dash speaker, looks like a little black trapazoid) with a hat or rag or piece of paper, until the headlights come on.
3) Set the HUD brightness and dash brightness how you want again (your nighttime setting).
4) Uncover the ambient light sensor, dash and HUD should go back to your daytime settings.
I will give this a try. This all seems a bit silly though. I’ve had several much older, lower quality vehicles where there was a clear change between daytime brightness and nighttime brightness, which could be replicated by deliberately turning the headlights on and off.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set the brightness for what you want it with the headlights lights ON. It will move to that whenever the Light Sensor detects ambient light lower than the threshold.

Net, 2 settings, one for Day, one for Night -- I find this most annoying right at dawn or dusk, seems to be dim before it needs to be/not brighten up soon enough for my taste...but, there has to be a threshold.
So, there's no way to change the THRESHOLD, is there? I've been finding recently that if it's a gloomy, cloudy day, and near sundown (but not there yet), then until my headlights eventually kick on, the various SWITCHES (not the DIC or main screen) remain unlit/dark and hard to see.

No way to get the headlights to come on via "auto" in lighter conditions, is there?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, there's no way to change the THRESHOLD, is there? I've been finding recently that if it's a gloomy, cloudy day, and near sundown (but not there yet), then until my headlights eventually kick on, the various SWITCHES (not the DIC or main screen) remain unlit/dark and hard to see.

No way to get the headlights to come on via "auto" in lighter conditions, is there?
No way to force it...Ironically, I think one of my BCM updates the dealer did adjusted the threshold a bit, as I think Canada vehicles were failing Canada requirements for when the lights come on. Best way to force it is throw a hat or envelope or sometihng over the ambient light sensor on the center dash.

I agree, generally, I wish the ambient light threshold was a bit lighter than it is currently set; I often find my Yukon to be one of the last vehicles on the road to pop the headlights on at dusk.

Toy Tow Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question and not sure if this is the right topic area in the forum, so apologies if wrong. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali. My daughter recently purchased a 2021 Yukon Denali. Her HUD display is significantly different than mine and has more data showing. Can I ask for a software update at the dealer to get the display to be similar to hers?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question and not sure if this is the right topic area in the forum, so apologies if wrong. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali. My daughter recently purchased a 2021 Yukon Denali. Her HUD display is significantly different than mine and has more data showing. Can I ask for a software update at the dealer to get the display to be similar to hers?
Make sure you’ve been through all of the various options that the HUD can display. And make sure you both have the same OnStar plan, too. Then, if you still don’t have the same info available, I’d check into a software upgrade.

JTGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

No way to force it...Ironically, I think one of my BCM updates the dealer did adjusted the threshold a bit, as I think Canada vehicles were failing Canada requirements for when the lights come on. Best way to force it is throw a hat or envelope or sometihng over the ambient light sensor on the center dash.

I agree, generally, I wish the ambient light threshold was a bit lighter than it is currently set; I often find my Yukon to be one of the last vehicles on the road to pop the headlights on at dusk.
Agree 100% - I find that it takes longer for my headlights to kick on than in any previous vehicles I've had with auto headlights, and it does make the switches hard to read. Obviously, I realize that I can just stop being lazy and turn them on myself, but I genearlly like having them turn on automatically - just wish it would do so about 15-20 minutes sooner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar