At a loss service brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok first off this is a 03 2wd 1500 Silverado, I'm posting in here because the sister site is super slow for some reason and system is essentially the same, I changed the front pads this morning, all I did was c clamp the calipers install new pads, put wheels back on, started it up pumped the pedal a few times and now I have the service brake system message, no abs light. Connected tech2 and it shows no dtc of any kind anywhere, so I'm lost, fluid was not low but I added about 6oz just to see, no change, any ideas? Doesn't seem like it would be the abs module.

IMG_20180714_154441.jpg IMG_20180714_155227.jpg IMG_20180714_155241.jpg

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the setting that says Diff Pressure Fluid Level Low and the ABS Relay Command ON?
I don't know, and I don't know if that is normal or not I guess I will find out when the valve is replaced or corrected. I couldn't get beyond that point I could select it but there was no other option beyond that, the abs light is not on and there is no code, brakes work fine but I am sure the valve is stuck and cutting fluid flow to the rear brakes, the valve has a centering V spot where the switch sits (normally) so if the valve is forced forward or backwards it contacts the switch and causes the brake light to come on. It might be able to be corrected by bleeding the lines at the valve but I am not sure on the success rate of that it was to late today to ask the dealer or another shop I will have to wait till Monday unless someone else chimes in that has experienced this problem before. doing a little research on the valve only led me to determine that it is indeed the problem given there is no air in the lines, no abs codes, and when I disconnect the switch the brake light goes out and error in the dic goes away, tried banging it with a hammer, tried pressing the brake pedal as hard as possible, tried slamming on the brakes, nothing seems to be getting it unstuck. the brake fluid looks nasty the whole system needs to be bled so it's just matter of if the valve can be corrected or if I should just order one they run about $100 online.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I caused it to happen somehow I put the wheels back on, dropped the jack and started it up and forgot to pump the brakes before I put in gear and I started rolling towards the Denali and I slammed the brake pedal to the floor and that's probably when it jammed the valve and the error popped up.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the valve in one of the other menus in the Tech2?
not that I could find, the valve is mechanical and the sensor is either open or closed, I guess I could leave it unplugged and run the tech2 on it and see if any of the readings come up different. I kind of found it by accident because I was checking to see if it was a faulty low fluid sensor but this truck doesn't even have a brake fluid level sensor, it has a spot on the tank for one to clip in but no harness.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tested it again with the harness off and the diff pressure changed to ok and brake light command off otherwise everything else is the same, so even though it doesn't give a DTC it does indicate what the sensor reads

IMG_20180715_081117.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345