Are these problems related?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon XL 2500 4x4=Continuing trouble.

Took off 2 weeks ago Monday and towed 51 YO #4000 Vintage TT 110 miles to campground and when we left Friday of that week, I filled up with fuel (87). NP driving home but when we got home I smelled fuel and noticed it was leaking from top of tank, so I took it into shop that helped me since purchase. Couple hours later manager told me they put on lift and without dropping tank, they are guessing it's the metal plate on top for fuel pump. Told me to burn some fuel and bring back with 1/4 tank.
FF to yesterday July 31, we took #4000 boat to Lake Erie (still had 1/2 tank of fuel and had quit leaking), launched and found out it was to rough so put it back on trailer. When I had backed the empty trailer down the steep ramp I set parking brake accidentally.
Loaded boat and I jumped in to it pull out, forgot I had set brake and after I put in drive the truck started sliding back. People around grabbed bricks. I then released E-brake and tried again but found truck to be like full engine power wasn't there... bogging down and only crept up couple feet, bricks again.
Message came on screen saying "Engine Power Reduced" (Or something like that).
((Note: history of truck is PO drilled out check engine light)) Check my first post.
Buddy hooked onto my truck and I had mine in drive as he pulled me up ramp.
After checking my Hanes we decided to secure boat and try backing up fast and applying brakes to see if E-brake would break free. Being on gravel It was hard to tell but I was able to get on a back road and get up to 55 mph. Drove home on back roads not noticing any trouble but am concerned to tow again.
Yes I'm a worry wart but knowing trucks history, I have reason to be, I think.
Could the message be from brake being stuck? Could it be something with lower fuel amount and angle truck was at on ramp?
I'm guessing and hoping it's the brake was stuck, I freed it and that is what was reducing engine power.
Opinions GREATLY appreciated because I love the towing and mileage and can't afford a New GMC.
TYVM in advance!

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a weak fuel pump.. It's a "module" assembly... So when you
take it back to your shop for the fuel leak issue, I'd have them install a high quality
fuel pump module assembly... This will prob kill 2 birds w 1 stone
BTW: use a delphi, gm, acdelco OE quality fuel pump or you'll be doing it again
within a year

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Yukon XL 2500 4x4=Continuing trouble.

Took off 2 weeks ago Monday and towed 51 YO #4000 Vintage TT 110 miles to campground and when we left Friday of that week, I filled up with fuel (87). NP driving home but when we got home I smelled fuel and noticed it was leaking from top of tank, so I took it into shop that helped me since purchase. Couple hours later manager told me they put on lift and without dropping tank, they are guessing it's the metal plate on top for fuel pump. Told me to burn some fuel and bring back with 1/4 tank.
FF to yesterday July 31, we took #4000 boat to Lake Erie (still had 1/2 tank of fuel and had quit leaking), launched and found out it was to rough so put it back on trailer. When I had backed the empty trailer down the steep ramp I set parking brake accidentally.
Loaded boat and I jumped in to it pull out, forgot I had set brake and after I put in drive the truck started sliding back. People around grabbed bricks. I then released E-brake and tried again but found truck to be like full engine power wasn't there... bogging down and only crept up couple feet, bricks again.
Message came on screen saying "Engine Power Reduced" (Or something like that).
((Note: history of truck is PO drilled out check engine light)) Check my first post.
Buddy hooked onto my truck and I had mine in drive as he pulled me up ramp.
After checking my Hanes we decided to secure boat and try backing up fast and applying brakes to see if E-brake would break free. Being on gravel It was hard to tell but I was able to get on a back road and get up to 55 mph. Drove home on back roads not noticing any trouble but am concerned to tow again.
Yes I'm a worry wart but knowing trucks history, I have reason to be, I think.
Could the message be from brake being stuck? Could it be something with lower fuel amount and angle truck was at on ramp?
I'm guessing and hoping it's the brake was stuck, I freed it and that is what was reducing engine power.
Opinions GREATLY appreciated because I love the towing and mileage and can't afford a New GMC.
TYVM in advance!
Did the fuel tank(s) get submerged when you backslid?

OP
OP
Jakeo1962

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the fuel tank(s) get submerged when you backslid?
No .........close but no.
You may have a weak fuel pump.. It's a "module" assembly... So when you
take it back to your shop for the fuel leak issue, I'd have them install a high quality
fuel pump module assembly... This will prob kill 2 birds w 1 stone
BTW: use a delphi, gm, acdelco OE quality fuel pump or you'll be doing it again
within a year
Well taken point, TYVM!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was told it is a 39 gallon single tank ?.

There are two tanks - roughly 32 gallons and 7 gallons. Two fuel pumps, one in each tank.

No, the emergency brake will not trigger reduced power warning. If I put mine in drive with the E-brake on, I get a warning message and some chimes, but not reduced engine power.

Sounds like you got a raw deal on that truck. They're great trucks. Mine has 230k miles, and I wouldn't hesitate tomorrow to hitch up my 8600-lb TT, load up the family and drive across country up into the Rockies.

OP
OP
Jakeo1962

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TYVM ALL for helping me out, truck is at shop now and will post the results.
Question about the tanks, I've had Fords where front was 16 and rear 19 but they had 2 fill up points. This and my previous GMC'S have only 1 fill up point, the 98 2500 PU had 34 gallon and this the book says 39. As I said only 1 place to fill er up.
HELP.........LOL

OP
OP
Jakeo1962

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are two tanks - roughly 32 gallons and 7 gallons. Two fuel pumps, one in each tank.

No, the emergency brake will not trigger reduced power warning. If I put mine in drive with the E-brake on, I get a warning message and some chimes, but not reduced engine power.

Sounds like you got a raw deal on that truck. They're great trucks. Mine has 230k miles, and I wouldn't hesitate tomorrow to hitch up my 8600-lb TT, load up the family and drive across country up into the Rockies.
Raw end all the way around BUT the PO ended up getting in a bit of legal trouble for tampering with check engine light and I LOVE IT!
I received a very "strong" letter from him after he was fined. I felt bad........for a second.
(I had no idea that certain states consider that very serious)
Love the truck and will drive til it dies or sinks.......LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan