Are HIDs worth getting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd personally advise sticking within the 4,300k-6,000k range. 8000 at the very most if you must have more of a blue tint, but I'd strongly advise against anything higher than that as it's been proven by numerous companies and individual testing that anything over offers progressively less usable light. 12k is purple and offers substantially worse output than 4,300k-8000k.

Just my .02. Do your own research and do what you feel is best.

STXTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, I have K and wow, they make a big difference over OEM. I am in the process of buying my high in HID also.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being a smartazz but....

Do you guys wear glasses? I'm serious because I don't, and I've never had a problem with vision and my stock lights. Also, if someone is behind me or in oncoming traffic with HID's I'm literally blinded by them.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock lights aren't really BAD, per se, but after having hid's, you would have a hard time wanting to go back to stock halogen lighting. it's just a whole lot more light, especially if you don't get too crazy with the kelvin rating on the light.

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or think of it this way. It all depends where you're driving. I'm in deer territory (Wisconsin), and they're starting to run. I want to SEE what's along the roadway, along with what's on it!

My DDMs are coming in Tuesday. I can't wait!! :party33:

Diller
99 Yukon SLT

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
the stock lights aren't really BAD, per se, but after having hid's, you would have a hard time wanting to go back to stock halogen lighting. it's just a whole lot more light, especially if you don't get too crazy with the kelvin rating on the light.

Your not kidding. the stock ones wernt too bad, then i went with those gay black light housings and stock bulbs and boy did those suck, then i upgraded everything to TYC and they came with hids and a place to mount your ballast and everything. Damn i will never go back to anything else with my truck. The lighting is so far beyond then the stocks. i have 4300K on my truck now.

not the best picture in the world but you get the "color"

Arkansaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For sure.

Do it. They are a healthy improvement over halogens.

Stick with the 35 watt HIDs or you will blind people.

I also recommend staying at 6000k or less. 4300k-4500k is perfect. The higher you go in color temp the less light it actually produces.

Considering the nominal expense from DDM Tuning, I would call it a no-brainer.

I have the HID lows and fogs. I'm running my lows in Depo projectors too.

If you get HIDs, ensure you take the time to ensure you have your headlights aimed correctly. Don't blind people and give HIDs a bad name.

Edit: One thing that is perhaps the biggest factor is not how much brighter they are, but rather the type of light they output. It is like a "blanket" of light in front of you rather that beams of light. It is truly a light that comes much closer in approximation to sunlight.

5107852785_27382ce3aa.jpg
IMG_2612

5108449448_ee71df1cc7.jpg
IMG_2608

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HIDS!

DDM has great price and LIFETIME warranty on thier bullbs and ballasts. Just do it, not that much money.

One of the best bang for your buck mods for any ride!

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this weekend I drove my boys Beemer with HID's. I'm sold! Totally different perspective from behind the wheel as opposed to on coming traffic. I felt like I had on Blu Blockers!! LOL Shyt was crystal clear..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401