Anyone using the Unlimited Wifi through OnStar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each device and car have their own accounts, meaning its own data limit before throttling. However, the vehicle hardware (without better reception many times) seems to already have a speed limit of less than 5 Mbps, where as the mobile devices each speeds north of 100 Mbps at times.

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with the GM wifi on our 2019 Tahoe. Once the free trial ran out I did not extend it.

Possible a Jetpack from verizon? It'll cost more but the speeds are pretty good. This is what we use now.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each device and car have their own accounts, meaning its own data limit before throttling. However, the vehicle hardware (without better reception many times) seems to already have a speed limit of less than 5 Mbps, where as the mobile devices each speeds north of 100 Mbps at times.
Understand completely.

That would explain what the OP was describing where he said that they had to turn Wi-Fi off on their devices and not use the vehicles Wi-Fi to get any sort of data speed when they got close to their house. With Wi-Fi on, devices will default to cars Wi-Fi network for data and have to share the limited bandwidth of the cars system and not use cellular data. With Wi-Fi off, each device uses their own cellular network connection and operate independently of the cars Wi-Fi connection.

Strong antenna signal but slow data speed limit (car wi-fi) is sometimes get you better performance than a weaker antenna signal with higher data speed limits (phone).

I see this a lot when I’m at home. If I’m in my house, with a strong Wi-Fi signal, I will have my phone connected to Wi-Fi for data. If I am outside where the Wi-Fi signal is weak, my phone will hold onto the weak Wi-Fi signal and struggle. Once I turn off Wi-Fi and force the phone to use cellular data, it is much faster.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5-10 Mbps is FAST; it’s better than my broadband at my house.
I’m lucky to get 2G when I go camping and preferably no data or voice (and I have a Wilson amp in my vehicle). It’s actually hard now to actually find a place near me that truly doesn’t have coverage.
Here is another trick: AT&T’s unlimited “Tablet Plan” is $35/mo for 4G LTE. You’ll need an actual LTE-capable tablet’s IMEI/serial number to register the SIM to the device. Then insert the SIM into any sort of LTE hotspot or LTE Router. AT&T’s system thinks it is in the tablet and has no idea the SIM is inside of a router. If you live in a good coverage area then this could be worth it as it’s substantially cheaper than Comcast or Charter. Plus no contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DennisT

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re on our way south now. Once out of KY the WiFi was providing 5 to 7 Meg in TN and now in GA we’re seeing 8 Meg on our tablet. I can live with those speeds. But in my home area it is unusable.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yuppers, holiday congestion, literally. XMAS eve every cell, each on its own SIM card in the truck, had sucky service when stuck in traffic. I remembered the always crowded Italian restauarnt we frequent gugs down like that too. 150-200 devices clumped up, reaching out for data in one spot freaks out the towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts