Actual Speeds of OnStar WiFi/LTE Hotspot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time we did a long road trip in our 2017 Suburban I activated the OnStar WiFi/LTE hotspot and was unimpressed with the speeds. I remember doing several speed tests and could barely pull 1 mb/s (this is with full LTE reception), which is painfully slow, so things like youtube and netflix were pretty difficult to use.

I realize there are a lot of external factors that play a role in wireless speeds, but i'm curious if other people have had similar experiences.

I'm weighing this between getting a mobile LTE hotspot device from our wireless provider. Any advice is appreciated!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM uses AT&T for their services.... if you have another provider then try it. I just let the truck connect to my hotspot or let the kids directly connect to my hotspot on my Verizon phone.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WiFi in the vehicle is on the same level as prepaid service even though its Att. Priority speed is given to postpaid customers. Prepaid gets throttled. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WiFi in the vehicle is on the same level as prepaid service even though its Att. Priority speed is given to postpaid customers. Prepaid gets throttled. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh this makes perfect sense. Thank you

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have most of your answer above, which also helps inform me some. I get terrible speeds. I've open 3 cases with OnStar, but doesn't matter. I average about 3-5Mbps down (many tests it's under 1Mbps) which is total garbage for 4G. Same exact spot and signal strength from my iPhone I get consistent 12 - 15Mbps. With two kids on a road trip it struggles to keep up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods