Anyone had battery issues after 2 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a PIA it's going to be to change the damn thing!!! GM made it so damn inconvenient putting the battery back in the corner, then
surrounded it with a bunch of support braces, and that stupid power distribution block right on top......it'll take an hour just to change a battery.......

That's nothing!
Montana Under the Hood.jpg

See the battery on this Pontiac Montana? LOL We have to change it every couple of years; it's down there behind the passenger side headlamp. The magic of computer aided design, allows engineers to stuff the battery into all kinds of nooks and crannies! LOL

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new battery about 4 months ago. When the changed my radiator thermostat and thermostat housing. My truck would sit for a 3-4 days at a time without me starting it. When I got in to start it the battery light would be on.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new battery about 4 months ago. When the changed my radiator thermostat and thermostat housing. My truck would sit for a 3-4 days at a time without me starting it. When I got in to start it the battery light would be on.

It needs a good charge probably. A few months ago my daughter accidentally drained the battery after bible study. A buddy gave us a jump start and we drove home. The next day I had a long drive and the alternator took about 3 hours to fully charge the battery while cruising on the highway.

Mine also often sits for days at a time and is sometimes down to 12 or even 11 volts. Short trips around town do not get it back up to a full charge but some time on the highway does. The short trips exacerbate it really.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The Denali gets used every day, so it’s weird that it would just go down. I charged it up on the Schumacher and it seems to be working fine for now. Does struggle when temps get down in the 30’s though.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The famous old saying—batteries die in August but don’t fall over until December.

I’ve already replaced the battery in the 2016 Tahoe. Started experiencing electrical gremlins. Bought an Odessy (because I can’t afford a dead battery) AGM and had the original tested. Held half the CCA after 2-1/2 years (about 400CCA). Okay, but would have died this winter.

They don’t make them like they used to!

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of replacing it with an Optima yellow top or red top. Does anyone have a model number and a suggestion as to whether I should use the yellow or the red?

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In preparation for colder weather and just for peace of mind. I just took my 09 tahoe Hybrid over to my local auto parts and they tested the battery. it tested GOOD. Looking at the stamp on top I see P024R and per an internet search the first and second numbers (02) indicates the month and the third number (4) indicates the year? The R indicates the plant it was made at. I think it was manufactured in February 2014 at plant R wherever that is and is quickly approaching the 5 year old mark? Here are a couple of pics let me know what you guys think...............
IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6774.jpg
IMG_6775.jpg

E1E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m thinking of replacing it with an Optima yellow top or red top. Does anyone have a model number and a suggestion as to whether I should use the yellow or the red?
I run a yellow D34 or 35 (can't remember). Their site now lists a H6 for my HOE but I don't know anyone who's used it yet????

Last edited:

aschevfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced under warranty. 28,000 miles on a 2 year old 2016 Tahoe. GM does not make it easy to warranty. They have to run a series of test after they make sure the battery is fully charged. Mine would slow crank in the morning. I even got a message from onstar to take my Tahoe in for an battery or charging system failure.

Boatguy

Reaction score
My 18 month old Denali croaked a battery with 6,000 miles on the odo. Edit: Either that or I had a defective battery. One cell was dead as a door nail. I got brow beat when I told the service writers the car sometimes sits for up to ten days. They said you can’t let it sit over a week. I said WTF, I can’t drive this expensive vehicle to LAX, go skiing for a week or so, and expect it to start when I get back? A Chatty Cathy cashier said they replace 18 month old batteries “all the time” and the new, smaller SUVs drain a battery easily in a week.

That said, it’s been a week since I drove the Yukon last and I put it on the charger today. It took 4.5 AH to top off the batt. That seems fine as far as parasitic drain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts