Anyone else's door latch ever get stuck so the door can't close?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently kid pushed the lock button while the door was open and when wife went to shut door, it bounced back open. Door latch was already in closed position.

Fix was to pull on door handle and manually push the latch back out and the door closed fine after that. I don't see how locking the door would cause this. Hopefully the latch isn't faulty and I can just lubricate it and forget it. But the fact that this happened on a 8 month old vehicle makes me wonder if the lubricant dried up or if there's something else I need to worry about.

Just wondering if it's ever happened to anyone else on this new generation.

And does anyone have an automotive grade lubricant they'd recommend?

*picture attached isn't my vehicle or likely even a suburban - included for reference

1689702754562.png

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently kid pushed the lock button while the door was open and when wife went to shut door, it bounced back open. Door latch was already in closed position.

Fix was to pull on door handle and manually push the latch back out and the door closed fine after that. I don't see how locking the door would cause this. Hopefully the latch isn't faulty and I can just lubricate it and forget it. But the fact that this happened on a 8 month old vehicle makes me wonder if the lubricant dried up or if there's something else I need to worry about.

Just wondering if it's ever happened to anyone else on this new generation.

And does anyone have an automotive grade lubricant they'd recommend?

*picture attached isn't my vehicle or likely even a suburban - included for reference

View attachment 404251

The ONLY way that latch closes is by force, it is not automatic. So it must have been bumped somehow. Everything I have read is NOT to lubricate these door latches because of the electronics inside the mechanism.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen once on a previous car...was the result of my wife's purse strap catching it as she walked by...solution was to use the door handle to release the latch and open it w/ my finger.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have something similar happen on a another vehicle before I had to use a screw driver to push it back and it was fine afterwards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019