Anyone done a MSRP swap because of a Lemon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see this thread in the issues we had with our vehicle here https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/9111-miles-here-i-sit-at-dealer-500-miles-from-home.128305/

Long story short, GM has agreed to an MSRP swap and called yesterday to ask our preferred dealer to work with. While waiting to see if the dealer accepts. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process with GM recently during the supply chain issues.

Essentially we get a credit equal to the MSRP of our vehicle with no deduction for the mileage we have put on the vehicle. We can not go down a model, but can go up. Not sure if that means we could switch to an Escalade or not, but wife doesn't like them anyways. They are also covering all the taxes and fees. We have submitted fo them reimburse the money we spent for tire warranty, ceramic coating, and tint. All the other additions I can take off the vehicle and sell or reuse.

I've been checking the inventory site and use the middle of the US as the starting point and searching out 2000 miles. There were 0 vehicles that matched the wife's requirements. The BBB said GM will probably allow us to order, however, GM has removed the sliding console as an option and that is one of our most used features.

Lastly(I think) I've been trying to catch up on the different issues along with the pros and cons between the 6.2 gas and the 3.0 diesel and think I have the wife talked into the diesel this time.

TIA for anyone chiming in with their experiences with this process and GM.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if GM has 21 Denali diesel in holding lot somewhere and get your name on it. That way you keep console and other options you had. Years ago, they would call it buy back in which they would write check for turned in vehicle. Then would give you a discount on another vehicle if you bought within certain period.

drmoose

Reaction score
I just started this process. Had the Suburban for just less than a year, and been in the shop for 60+ days, camera system failure (3 visits, 27 days), bad lifters (1 visit, 21 days) and now transmission pump failure (12 days and counting), plus the other side of lifters may be going bad (misfiring).

I was pretty patient thought he first 47 days, and i did get an extended warranty on the electrical and engine (100k+) but when the transmission goes bad too, I just feel like this is a bad vehicle and I need to get out of it.

I am ordering the diesel, trying to figure out the options that will not be included due to chip shortage, and what will be available to add later. No one seems to know for sure. The only option I added that was not on original vehicle is the splash guards (that I cannot take with me), and I am not sure I can be bothered to see if GM will reimburse me.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ordering the diesel, trying to figure out the options that will not be included due to chip shortage, and what will be available to add later. No one seems to know for sure. The only option I added that was not on original vehicle is the splash guards (that I cannot take with me), and I am not sure I can be bothered to see if GM will reimburse me.
Right now it looks like front and rear parking sensors are not included, but dealer retrofit should be available by Q4 2022. Heated steering wheel is not included, but available for dealer retrofit by Q3 2022.

There's other options that are on constraint, which means they only build a certain number of them per week.

drmoose

Reaction score
Right now it looks like front and rear parking sensors are not included, but dealer retrofit should be available by Q4 2022. Heated steering wheel is not included, but available for dealer retrofit by Q3 2022.

There's other options that are on constraint, which means they only build a certain number of them per week.
thanks, that is kinda what i thought. Dealer GM rep didn't really know this...

OP
OP
G

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I compiled a list of RPO codes last night, I saw no mention of heated steering wheel not being available,it just didn't show up in the long list of RPO codes when you share a configuration. I'll post the list when I get to my computer later.

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
You can see this thread in the issues we had with our vehicle here https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/9111-miles-here-i-sit-at-dealer-500-miles-from-home.128305/

Long story short, GM has agreed to an MSRP swap and called yesterday to ask our preferred dealer to work with. While waiting to see if the dealer accepts. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process with GM recently during the supply chain issues.

Essentially we get a credit equal to the MSRP of our vehicle with no deduction for the mileage we have put on the vehicle. We can not go down a model, but can go up. Not sure if that means we could switch to an Escalade or not, but wife doesn't like them anyways. They are also covering all the taxes and fees. We have submitted fo them reimburse the money we spent for tire warranty, ceramic coating, and tint. All the other additions I can take off the vehicle and sell or reuse.

I've been checking the inventory site and use the middle of the US as the starting point and searching out 2000 miles. There were 0 vehicles that matched the wife's requirements. The BBB said GM will probably allow us to order, however, GM has removed the sliding console as an option and that is one of our most used features.

Lastly(I think) I've been trying to catch up on the different issues along with the pros and cons between the 6.2 gas and the 3.0 diesel and think I have the wife talked into the diesel this time.

TIA for anyone chiming in with their experiences with this process and GM.
I did Lemon Law in WA state back in 1993 on a Dodge Cummins diesel 3/4 ton pickup truck.

Entire process took about 8-10 months if I recall correctly.

They ( Chrysler ) had to buy back my truck and I got back 100% of sales tax I paid ( close to $2K ) truck was $24K brand new plus tax title license etc

They did have a mileage usage discount that shaved about $1500 or so off the top for miles I actual drove / used the truck over a 10 month period.

Very glad I stuck with it and got out from under that truck. It had xmission drive train issues that no dealership service dept could correctly fix after 2-3 tries. That qualified it for lemon law, then the process began.

Not sure how it works on GM or whatever trade lemon law thing you are talking about ?

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped a 2002 Bravada for a 2003 Envoy. It was pretty painless but trucks were in stock. Took a couple of weeks and I even got 0% financing.

drmoose

Reaction score
My dealer gen manager submitted my order this week. It is in the submitted but not accepted stage. Curious how long this will take, with all the constraints and allocation issues in the system. I did not ask the dealer if they had allocations for getting it built. I will give it a few weeks and follow up if needed. The dealer is generous enough to place the order in their allocation, and I get to drive the current vehicle until it is in. Hard to be too unhappy with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14