9111 miles.. here I sit at dealer 500 miles from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On vacation and started making a banging and clunking that seemed to be based on speed and not rpm. Dropped family off at the beach and went straight to the dealer. 3 dealers in the area are all booked almost 1 to 2 weeks out. They seem to think lifters but I think something in the drive line. Revving in neutral was fine and when it occurs can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Wife said it felt similar to when the transmission went out in our '15 Suburban.

Waiting on GM to authorize 2 rental vehicles as they don't have any loaners or rentals in the area that seats 7 (5 kids and 2 adults).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On vacation and started making a banging and clunking that seemed to be based on speed and not rpm. Dropped family off at the beach and went straight to the dealer. 3 dealers in the area are all booked almost 1 to 2 weeks out. They seem to think lifters but I think something in the drive line. Revving in neutral was fine and when it occurs can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Wife said it felt similar to when the transmission went out in our '15 Suburban.

Waiting on GM to authorize 2 rental vehicles as they don't have any loaners or rentals in the area that seats 7 (5 kids and 2 adults).
Bummer. Sorry to hear about your hassles on vacation. Please do keep us posted on how they work it out for you and what the problem was.

The fact that the dealer automatically assumed lifters as the root problem tells us a little more about how common that particular problem is for them.

OP
OP
G

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they got authorization to give us 2 rentals until we get back to SC on Saturday or Sunday. I opened a case with GMC directly and requested they either pay for us to stay or tell us how they are going to get our vehicle back to us.

Assuming they have the vehicle for at least 6 days it puts us in the 30 days of vehicle out if service clause for lemon law in SC.

808RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Man that sucks. Glad you were able to get the loaners and good luck with GM. Last month I drove to Vegas and going through the desert, the lifter issue definitely crossed my mind as being stuck in the middle of the desert would not be an ideal situation.

OP
OP
G

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks. Glad you were able to get the loaners and good luck with GM. Last month I drove to Vegas and going through the desert, the lifter issue definitely crossed my mind as being stuck in the middle of the desert would not be an ideal situation.
I thought we were in the clear once we crossed 8k

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they got authorization to give us 2 rentals until we get back to SC on Saturday or Sunday. I opened a case with GMC directly and requested they either pay for us to stay or tell us how they are going to get our vehicle back to us.

Assuming they have the vehicle for at least 6 days it puts us in the 30 days of vehicle out if service clause for lemon law in SC.
I’m contacted GM via a bbb complaints with a bad trans under warranty issue years ago. I was 5 hours away from home and took the rental home. The dealer brought mine to me after it was repaired.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know from recent experience how it feels to be broke down away from home. My 2012 recently stopped about 3 and 1/2 hours from home and didn't get towed till after dark. Towed it to the nearest GM dealer and left the keys with a note describing what happened then went to a hotel.

Service manager called me next morning and said it was his top priority, reconnected an hour later and said it was the ECM and should have it in by 3:00 PM. Sure enough I was on the road at 4:15.

I guess not all dealers take abandonment as top priority and when I buy a new one I might just drive 3 and 1/2 hours to McDaniels in Marion, OH. I'll be sure to stop by the service department and say hi.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always threaten to open the lemon law case, and try to force them to replace both banks...?

OP
OP
G

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always threaten to open the lemon law case, and try to force them to replace both banks...?
Already have a case open directly with GMC and called an attorney earlier today to send the letter as we have now meant the requirements for lemon law in South Carolina.