Anyone coolant gauge ever do this? Am I being picky?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right there, or you have an aftermarket thermostat with a much lower temperature installed. Or if you haven't done any work at all - have you removed the thermostat housing from the water pump to inspect it? I would be interested to see a scan tool's reading of this temperature. By the ((inaccurate)) gauge alone it looks to be pointing to around ~185. I bet it's lower than that.
Looks like I'll be inspecting the thermostat, mostly likely changing it along with coolant temperature sensor. Fans kicked on high and I lost temprature reading on my way home on a 2hr drive last night. Started the same way this morning but about 10 minutes into a drive around town the fans shut down and temp guage started working. No codes, loss of or low coolant during the time.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be inspecting the thermostat, mostly likely changing it along with coolant temperature sensor. Fans kicked on high and I lost temprature reading on my way home on a 2hr drive last night. Started the same way this morning but about 10 minutes into a drive around town the fans shut down and temp guage started working. No codes, loss of or low coolant during the time.
Try replacing your coolant temperature sensor FIRST due to your symptoms, and be sure to use OEM parts only!

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try replacing your coolant temperature sensor FIRST due to your symptoms, and be sure to use OEM parts only!
I figure they're all 100k parts and I'm not original owner and I just hit 100k. Being that the thermostat was already suspect due to the readings it's worth the 50 bucks. I'll do a coolant change as well since I dont know if it's ever been done.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the sensor is failing as your fans running indicate, the displayed temperature may have been incorrectly low. Of course, replacing everything doesn't hurt either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909