Anyone coolant gauge ever do this? Am I being picky?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_7821.jpeg
Am I being too picky? I’ve seen this in other vehicles and they were fine. Does it mean anything ? I feel like usually it is spot on.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty normal on all the newer vehicles I've owned. The only ones that seemed to be accurate were the older generation vehicles, where they would represent 160F, 190F, etc.

I think the newer stuff has been dumbed down to show in the NORMAL range until something actually goes to shit......by then it's usually too late.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty normal on all the newer vehicles I've owned. The only ones that seemed to be accurate were the older generation vehicles, where they would represent 160F, 190F, etc.

I think the newer stuff has been dumbed down to show in the NORMAL range until something actually goes to shit......by then it's usually too late.
Ya tbis happens on my 2010 focus too. No issues. But each car is different.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't understand the concern. My 2005 runs just below the 210 mark and is just fine. Do this? Does it mean anything? Is this higher than you have seen it hang at before? What exactly are you complaining about?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the concern. My 2005 runs just below the 210 mark and is just fine. Do this? Does it mean anything? Is this higher than you have seen it hang at before? What exactly are you complaining about?
Well I could have sworn it was usually always spot on in the middle. But I saw today it was a hair off. I could be seeing things. It could’ve always been like that. I just swore it was always in the middle. But you’re saying you’re does it too then we’re good. Not having any other issues haha.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That pic is sooooo close to being dead center/middle, I would not worry. Remember, gauges are not 1000% accurate. They are just a general reading, in most cases. I have seen mine fluctuate ever so slightly when accel hard up passes out here in Oregon. But, 99% of the time, mine is just slightly lower than 210. Attach a scanner and drive and compare.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see an issue. The gauges are pretty accurate in my opinion on my GMT 800s, and assuming newer generations are as good or better. Swap to a slightly lower temperature if you'd like. I think last thermostat I did was a 190F and mine registers slightly below the middle. On my 06 I can actually see the temperature change when the thermostat opens and closes If I look closely.

OTOH, on my 2000 OBS K3500 with the 5.7 Vortec "normal" temperature shows 1/4 mark on the guage, never more, and I swapped the temperature sender (the correct one, recall those have 2 senders!). The fuel guage does that hummingbird twitching and can vary about +/- 1/8 tank mark at any given time.

My speedo is off too: I need to drive 78 mph to actually be going 70 mph! My brother told me once we were driving together and he was looking at his phone GPS. I was like, "what?! No wonder everyone is always passing me!!!" LOL But ECU shows accurate when hooked up to a handheld scanner. Luckily I don't daily drive that truck! Now, talk about instrument cluster accuracy! LOL

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine sit's right about 194 which is just a hair under the center hash mark as shown in your photo = normal
I can "make" it move in the hot days of summer if I try hard enough, otherwise it never budges.
by default the fans kick on high speed at 230deg so under a load and going up a hill or towing you may see it that high, if it goes higher than that then you have a problem.
i will add that you can survive 1 or 2 "high temp" experiences, i.e. blown heater hose, etc and still be safe with no damages as long as you shut off the engine right away.
if you have a overheat problem and keep driving it getting hot and getting hot and getting hot over and over this will most certainly ruin your engine. costing you much more than just fixing it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900