Anybody use a jet chip??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Jet Chip today on impulse but i'm looking on their website and now I know that the one I have is Stage 2.
http://www.jetchip.com

This is what the website says for stage 2:

STAGE 2 - Designed for the performance enthusiast, the Stage 2 features more aggressive programming to make the most horsepower and torque available. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified for peak performance and drivability. Requires use of 91 octane fuel, 180 degree thermostat and free flow exhaust. Also works well with aftermarket intake systems, mass air sensors, TBI spacers, etc.

The problem is I don't have any performance mods like the thermostat,free flow exhaust, and since i've had my truck i've been using 87 octane fuel.
My question is would I be able to use this and not mess up my truck and still gain any performance or gas mileage or should I try to sell it and get my money back?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice....

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you just cancel the order? Where did you order it from?

I have not heard very many good things about JET's products. I generally stay pretty far away from cookie-cutter tuning products since we have such awesome support on here from Justin and Jenna at Black Bear Performance.

Not sure if you are interested or not, but there are plenty of people on here, myself included, that will tell you that a scan cable tune is the best money you can spend on your truck...even if it's stock.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of the cable tune (although it really is pretty simple), Justin makes makes "off the shelf" PCMs that you can order. Other than that, Diablo puts out a pretty good tuner from what I hear...

wmgood64

BILL
Reaction score
Had a Jet chip in my 2002 silverado and 2005 300C didn't really see alot of difference some but not alot. Youre better of buying a handheld tuner that gives you more options. tire size calibratin, multiple tranny settings and perfomance settings etc. The only thing i don't like about my Bully dog is you have to pull like 10 fuses but i marked them with a silver marker which makes it a breeze! Also if they e-mail you with and upgrade for your tuner you can't down load it until you tune your vehicle back to stock which aint a big deal but why?? You could also do a Blackbear Tune like Sasquatch was talkin about! The only thing i'm not sure of what if you have to bring your vehicle to the dealer it's easy to pull the jet chip out or put your vehicle back to stock with a handheld tuner but what do you do if you have a Black bear tune???

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealers aren't able to see or disassemble the tune on a Black Bear PCM. If they have a software upgrade or something to that effect, they might "flash" your tuned PCM back to stock...in which case you just have Justin send you a new one. He keeps all of his clients' data and tune settings store on several redundant servers so if that kind of thing happens, you aren't screwed. He'll burn your saved data on another PCM and send it to you, and you send the old one back to him.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people myself included buy another PCM from justin, you swap the new one in and justin tunes that one and you keep your stock one. if you even need to get warranty work you just swap it out. it takes about 15 minutes.

but you don`t need to buy the new PCM especially if you`re past your warranty. and blackbear offers free retunes so if a dealer ever erased the custom tune you can just mail it back to them and have it restored.

i got the spare PCM for that very reason it was $100. that way when it goes in for warranty service i swap it out with no worries.

you will not be dissapointed with a blackbear tune.

OP
OP
NJ04HOE

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a Jet chip in my 2002 silverado and 2005 300C didn't really see alot of difference some but not alot. Youre better of buying a handheld tuner that gives you more options. tire size calibratin, multiple tranny settings and perfomance settings etc. The only thing i don't like about my Bully dog is you have to pull like 10 fuses but i marked them with a silver marker which makes it a breeze! Also if they e-mail you with and upgrade for your tuner you can't down load it until you tune your vehicle back to stock which aint a big deal but why?? You could also do a Blackbear Tune like Sasquatch was talkin about! The only thing i'm not sure of what if you have to bring your vehicle to the dealer it's easy to pull the jet chip out or put your vehicle back to stock with a handheld tuner but what do you do if you have a Black bear tune???

Thanks for all of the replies but the only one to discuss what I actuall asked was wmgood64.

So wmgood64 since you were the only one that actually had the jet chip I was curious which one did you have stage 1 or 2? and did you have anything else done to your silverado and 300c, Like the suggested thermostat,free flow exhaust and did you use 91 octane?

I understand that getting a blackbear tune is highly suggested but like I said I already have the jet chip and wanted to know details on it. Maybe later I would go that route but for now I just wannna know about the jet.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of your questions was whether or not you should sell it and get your money back - and I answered that one accordingly. I realize that the question was asked in reference to not having the recommended mods for the Jet chip, but if you can sell the chip and get your money back, then I recommend you do it and go with a known performance enhancer like BBP. I'm just trying to look out for your wallet because I have read on several forums that Jet's products really aren't that great.

Or keep it. Whatever you want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019