2003 Chevy Tahoe Performance Chip Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any truth to the claims of 60HP and 4-6 mpg?
Those numbers seem a little high with just a tune. For an 03 Tahoe 5.3 we see 15-30hp, 15-20ft-lbs improvement along with improved throttle response, and improved shift patterns. All depending on fuel quality, octane, and condition of the vehicle prior to the tune. Maybe a 1-2 mpg but the foot on the pedal and vehicle usage has the biggest effect on that.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll let you know once mine arrives. Thanks
5.3 dyno tune vs accessories vs headers
Watch this here.

Any place claiming 60 hp from a tune alone is mad. Dyno your rig before and after so you can get your money back.
Caveat is his base tune was still probably better than a factory tune. And ill bet the place you are getting a tune from is completely removing torque management...and your trans wont like that for long.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chips? Those went away in the early-to-mid 90s.
Maybe some people refer to tunes-in-a-can or cookie-cutter half@$$ tunes as 'chips'? OK, whatever.

A mail-order tune is the bare minimum, assuming the vehicle has a Powertrain Control Module.
Even then, in-person realtime tunes are far better value than plug-in tunes, and usually not too much more.

Newer vehicles with separate Engine AND Transmission Control Modules (ECM & TCM) should not settle for anything less than an in-person realtime tune.

ExEl03X4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Save your money and put a 4:10 differential in it. That will make more difference than anything you can plug in or bolt on the engine. Think about the tire diameter and what you really want from the vehicle. Adding even an inch to the diameter can slow it down enough to take the fun out of it. I use the term "slow it down" because most people say they want to make a vehicle faster when what they really want is quicker. I'd be happy if my vehicle could only go 90 mph but could get there in only 4 seconds. In the long run, the best way to make any vehicle quicker is to start with gears and tire diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons