Anybody Flash an ECM after a tranny swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Hey all,

As my new engine gets the machine work done, I decided to look into the transmission. The 6L80e has over 131k on the clock and the fluid was definitely 'cloudy'. Decided to get a reman transmission shipped to the door.

The company says I need to get the ECM reflashed to match the transmission. I have a Tech2 and purchased a subscription to TISWeb...and watched a YouTube video. Doesn't seem super hard, but was interested if anyone else had done this. Any tips/tricks other than keeping the battery charged? If I hooked up a running vehicle to the battery via jumper cables...would that help?

Open to other pitfalls to look out for in this process. Never reflashed an ECM before!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As my new engine gets the machine work done, I decided to look into the transmission. The 6L80e has over 131k on the clock and the fluid was definitely 'cloudy'. Decided to get a reman transmission shipped to the door.

The company says I need to get the ECM reflashed to match the transmission. I have a Tech2 and purchased a subscription to TISWeb...and watched a YouTube video. Doesn't seem super hard, but was interested if anyone else had done this. Any tips/tricks other than keeping the battery charged? If I hooked up a running vehicle to the battery via jumper cables...would that help?

Open to other pitfalls to look out for in this process. Never reflashed an ECM before!
it's not hard to do, just plug everything in and follow the directions on tisweb, only tip I can give you is just set everything down and don't wiggle the wires around, you will be controlling the operation from the pc/laptop or whatever you are using so have it on a table or something so the cable isn't getting wiggled. be sure everything is off headlights, radio, ac, etc

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have flashed a few modules including BCM’s with the Tech2 and ECM’s and TCM’s with an Autocal and the lesson I learned besides what Wes said is if you have any aftermarket electronics, pull their fuses. The programmer tries to wake up everything connected and do a “handshake” so it can read its software version and if it can’t communicate because it’s aftermarket it can get stuck.

OP
OP
M

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Good tips. I don't have any aftermarket electronics installed...so that's a win. I will also be sure to have my connections as solid as possible and work from a stable location. Can't afford to brick this guy.

...and this may be much ado about nothing. I have been guilty of overthinking/overstressing/overengineering things before! But, so far my exploits with the Yukon have been pretty successful...and I hope to keep it that way! :)