Any mobile Amateur Radio Operators out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
I am trying to determine as non-invasive way as possible to mount a mobile Amateur Radio (Ham) antenna to a 2017 Yukon XL. Any Ham or CB operators out there that have successfully accomplished this on this particular body style?

If I had my NBS, I could simply bolt it to the rear stainless steel bumper. I'm looking for something less invasive on this, without going to the magnetic mount options. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine as non-invasive way as possible to mount a mobile Amateur Radio (Ham) antenna to a 2017 Yukon XL. Any Ham or CB operators out there that have successfully accomplished this on this particular body style?

If I had my NBS, I could simply bolt it to the rear stainless steel bumper. I'm looking for something less invasive on this, without going to the magnetic mount options. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks.
Can you do glass mounted antennae?

OP
OP
YukonXLMan

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Richard, I haven't considered a glass mount as I thought I'd like sufficient ground plane. You've given me something to verify.

William, the lip mount idea is a good thought as well. Mostly 15 and 20 meters is the desire, which necessitates a bit longer antenna than say, 2 meters would. You think it would be possible to do the lip mount sufficiently well to create good ground plane and not interfere with the auto open/close of the rear?

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and had a professional roof mount two nmo 1/4 wave Nickle/Titanium whips right on top and they withstand the carwash and work great! completely flat resonance across both 2m/70cm bands.
Now, I'm looking for the best remotable HF radio for it. I have a Tarheel A200HP that I am going to try to build a custom undercarriage bolt on mount for it. It's heavy!!

JJ
N5MNX
2016 LT Z71 LED Edition
Yaesu FTM400DX mobile

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Amateur Tech license and wondering if any of you have recommendations for a study program and/or learning materials. I am somewhat familiar with wireless RF, being a (old) cable dawg.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Amateur Tech license and wondering if any of you have recommendations for a study program and/or learning materials. I am somewhat familiar with wireless RF, being a (old) cable dawg.
Depends how you learn best. There are lots of online resources. If you prefer a book, which include the question pool with answers, then you might look at those put out by ARRL or W5YI. They can oft be found on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts