(another) Service 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Bump? Anyone?

I'll take a wiring diagram or any info for the cause behind these switch failures. I'm not opposed to rebuilding it myself on account of aftermarket parts being such a shit show. Dealer wants 170 for it. Local store wants 105. Amazon is like 20 bucks but I have some doubts about any amount of build quality / QC during manufacturing on those

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump? Anyone?

I'll take a wiring diagram or any info for the cause behind these switch failures. I'm not opposed to rebuilding it myself on account of aftermarket parts being such a shit show. Dealer wants 170 for it. Local store wants 105. Amazon is like 20 bucks but I have some doubts about any amount of build quality / QC during manufacturing on those
I would roll with a used oem one from the local scrap yard if they have any usually they are snatched up quick, lkq might have one, they have a circuit board inside not sure what goes wrong with them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The two I have for my '04 (I have a spare from U-Pull) are both apparently OE and have "TRW" molded into the backside. I've never tried others, as these have so far passed the resistance tests and I've replaced the backlights in both.

I'd be interested in if your switch fails the resistance test.

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had 2 new ones from Napa work for a week, the last one passed resistance test, ordered one from an Oregon GM dealer and it says made in China on the back, it passed too, still no worky.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you haven't checked and cleaned the two ground wires on the body behind the LF wheel, one of those is for the 4x4. Think it goes to the harness for the TC control module under the dash. I believe there is also a splice in that wire around (underneath) the brake booster; follow the ground wire up the firewall to see if that's a good connection.

A Tech 2, and maybe other scanners, will read the reference and return voltages to/from the encoder motor. I have no idea what the return voltages should be, but the reference is either 5v or 8v, depending on your system.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
The two I have for my '04 (I have a spare from U-Pull) are both apparently OE and have "TRW" molded into the backside. I've never tried others, as these have so far passed the resistance tests and I've replaced the backlights in both.

I'd be interested in if your switch fails the resistance test.

If you haven't checked and cleaned the two ground wires on the body behind the LF wheel, one of those is for the 4x4. Think it goes to the harness for the TC control module under the dash. I believe there is also a splice in that wire around (underneath) the brake booster; follow the ground wire up the firewall to see if that's a good connection.

A Tech 2, and maybe other scanners, will read the reference and return voltages to/from the encoder motor. I have no idea what the return voltages should be, but the reference is either 5v or 8v, depending on your system.

Ref voltage for mine is 5v.

Switch tests out good, though I did note pin tension on B of C2 is lame. Seems to correspond with some flickering lighting on the thing when I go over bumpy roads. Not really confident that would be my fix though.

One of the pins (and I already forgot which one) had a bit of a patina on it. Probably from an interior water leak I had last year

Will clean up those grounds you mentioned, adjust pin tension, button her back up and see where that gets me. Given how intermittent the thing has been, and the switch testing good, I'm temped to believe at this point it's just a garbage connection somewhere *knock on wood*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys