Another leak... third times a charm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01YukonSC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now dealing with a third leak location and forum search hasn't turned anything up. I've taped my sunroof shut with flex seal tape then sealed a weld that had cracked leading water behind the firewall into the passenger floorboard. Now I still have a leak, though thankfully not as bad as the previous two.

The leak is coming from my driver and passenger windows. As the water goes into the door internally, it should drain out the bottom as expected. However, the water is trickling down the window track (pictured below) which is jutted out at an angle, then the water catches the back of the speaker and trickles into the cab.

Can someone tell me if the window track is abnormally angled from time and wear? Are the speakers too thick? They are aftermarket installed 10+ years ago by the previous owner.

Lastly, I think there may be an issue because the plastic shield no longer has any stick to it and is duct taped in various places, but this doesn't seal the holes not on the edges.

Pictures below and hopefully I'm explaining this well. Any help for best next steps is appreciated.

IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4579.JPG IMG_4580.JPG

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never found the exact (clear) replacement, but a nice one is called Pipe wrap- used for underground burial. Pretty much like a big roll of electrical tape. Try to find a roll end of a 24 inch roll. Been using mine for 20 years and havn't run out yet! lots of uses. Also, try adding a deflector inside door to keep water away, or recheck your outer door seals at the glass. Many tint installers bend or chew them up.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am missing that plastic completely on one of my front doors (02 Denali) and live in the wet PNW. I don’t have any leaking. There’s supposed to be a plastic drip shield over the speaker if I remember correctly. Maybe yours got left off?

OP
OP

01YukonSC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am missing that plastic completely on one of my front doors (02 Denali) and live in the wet PNW. I don’t have any leaking. There’s supposed to be a plastic drip shield over the speaker if I remember correctly. Maybe yours got left off?

That would be great to know if it's supposed to have one. The speakers I have are aftermarket, were put in by the previous owner. However, I've had the Yukon now for 10 years. I have had some leaking issues but I always attributed them to the sunroof. Sealed that up, then found a leak from under the windshield cowl. Sealed that up, now found this leak. This leak isn't as bad so it could have been leaking for the past ten years and I was just attributing it to the sunroof.

Could you check your speakers to see if there was a plastic covering on the back? I've fashioned sort of a duct tape covering for the side of the speakers to try to keep the water from trickling in. May just need to do that around the whole interior part of the door.

OP
OP

01YukonSC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never found the exact (clear) replacement, but a nice one is called Pipe wrap- used for underground burial. Pretty much like a big roll of electrical tape. Try to find a roll end of a 24 inch roll. Been using mine for 20 years and havn't run out yet! lots of uses. Also, try adding a deflector inside door to keep water away, or recheck your outer door seals at the glass. Many tint installers bend or chew them up.

I'm not exactly sure what the outer door seals should look like. I don't have any tint and they look relatively good where the window rolls down. Not sure if there is an inner seal. But those look pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation. May try a deflector since Rocket Man doesn't have any issues with his and the plastic missing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be great to know if it's supposed to have one. The speakers I have are aftermarket, were put in by the previous owner. However, I've had the Yukon now for 10 years. I have had some leaking issues but I always attributed them to the sunroof. Sealed that up, then found a leak from under the windshield cowl. Sealed that up, now found this leak. This leak isn't as bad so it could have been leaking for the past ten years and I was just attributing it to the sunroof.

Could you check your speakers to see if there was a plastic covering on the back? I've fashioned sort of a duct tape covering for the side of the speakers to try to keep the water from trickling in. May just need to do that around the whole interior part of the door.
I didn’t want to pull a door panel for you so I did it the easy way- google. It looks like they do not have any water deflectors in place from the factory however from the YouTube videos I watched, wet speakers and rusty wire connectors are common. Seems quite a few guys add water deflectors. Make sure to leave the bottom half open so your speakers sound good, like the guy in this video.

OP
OP

01YukonSC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn’t want to pull a door panel for you so I did it the easy way- google. It looks like they do not have any water deflectors in place from the factory however from the YouTube videos I watched, wet speakers and rusty wire connectors are common. Seems quite a few guys add water deflectors. Make sure to leave the bottom half open so your speakers sound good, like the guy in this video.

This is perfect. I had gotten discouraged from some previous searches that didn't turn much up. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny