Annyone done a hidden bumper winch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfskier

Reaction score
I want to install a winch behind my bumper and was wondering if anyone has done this ???? Or will I be the guinea pig?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hardest part about installing a hidden winch is space behind the bumper itself, Im assuming your doing a factory bumper, in which case your going to need to take some measurements first, see if this is even feasible (i doubt it) . The Biggest problem with guys ditching a Hidden winch Idea is the amount of work that needs to be done in order for it to look good , function safely, work correctly and ease of Maitnence of the actual winch. Hidden winches IMHO look the best but require ALOT of time and effort. One of the biggest problems is space, In most chevys such as mine and NBS models is the radiator and Trans cooler Make it to difficult to center a winch and mount it in a Cradle safely to the frame. The next problem is maintence , Say the solenoid burns up ? , Well guess what 9 times out of 10 with a Hidden winch your going to have to remove the front bumper and remove the cradle just to get to a part that is held on by 2 bolts , Last but CERTAINLY not least is safety. using a winch is dangerous as it is because of all that stored energy add to that a tucked away winch in a small space, The art of reaching your hands in between a farilead to reach the Clutch to move it to Free spool or re-spooling can lead to some missing fingers if you make a mistake. The only vehicle that really pulls off a hidden winch with good results IMHO is the Ram power wagon.

I don't know your exact uses for this but trail fixing a broken winch is not fun if its in a hard to reach place. this is just my thoughts that you should take into consideration. I hate to discourage you but If I can drop some Knowledge to save someones money and or fingers Ill do my best .

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Also Note that you will have to Fabricate your own Cradle for a hidden winch design because the after market doesn't support them too often

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this mount for the silverado and thought I might be able to adapt it.

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-hidden-winch-plate_1080.php

WOW , I stand Highly corrected , Touche sir , and it looks like it should transfer over with little or no modification, and since when did these Hidden winch kits come with a lever relocator???!! I need to keep up with the times on these newer trucks .however I still don't see how their is the space but If it fits the Silverado than Im sure the Tahoe will be fine, The rest of my post is still to consider though and one other thing to add is that if you are planning on taking this thing threw deeper mud/water being that the winch sits lower than a standard top mounted winch bumper you will be exposing it to the elements

Good Find Btw you took me to school today :signs8:

OP
OP
S

smurfskier

Reaction score
The winch is not as much for mud and off road excursions as it is for winter. I tend to be heading out when most people are bunkering down in the snow. I had the winch from another project and thought it would be handy in an emergency on my truck. I still have not found any pics from underneath of the mount installed.

OP
OP
S

smurfskier

Reaction score
How long has that been on the truck? It seems to be rusting pretty quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n