** Alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to put a 270 amp alt in my 2010 tahoe, but i remember someone saying something about a voltage regulator or something along those lines... Or am i just crazy? I believe they said i need to leave the stock alt, and buy a bracket to run them both at the same time to fix the problem.....is this true?

LOUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong section bro, but no...most ** alts, ie, mechman, EA, DC etc, are internally regulated on voltage...you do have to buy a bracket, and keep the stock if you dont want to. You can get a factory replacement ** alt.

OP
OP
Ryan1126

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong section bro, but no...most ** alts, ie, mechman, EA, DC etc, are internally regulated on voltage...you do have to buy a bracket, and keep the stock if you dont want to. You can get a factory replacement ** alt.

i had a feeling this was gonna be the wrong section.... Im looking to get a DC 270xp.... I can just do a direct swap? Cool saves me $300 for a dual alt bracket.

Stereolab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_1369.gif

All DC Power 270XPs. One of them is for the stock OEM position, and is controlled by the ECM, so it won't always be at 14.9. The other three are on a separate harness and run at a straight 14.9.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryan1126

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1369.gif

All DC Power 270XPs. One of them is for the stock OEM position, and is controlled by the ECM, so it won't always be at 14.9. The other three are on a separate harness and run at a straight 14.9.

how bad of voltage drops will i get with a 270 xp in the stock position?

mrrairai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan which amplifiers are you using?

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Also are you running any extra batteries? I used to run XS Power and they are beasts.

Stereolab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how bad of voltage drops will i get with a 270 xp in the stock position?

Impossible to tell, the ECM uses some complicated algorithm to adjust the voltage. If you have big subwoofer amplifiers power them with separate alts, only use the ECM-controlled alt for maybe a highs amp and other accessories.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1369.gif

Just curious, how long did it take you to get those alts? Nice setup and I'm just looking for one and DC is top on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet