Alternator Whine in Right Speakers after headunit / GMOS-04 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twbauer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK.. I've got an odd one for you guys... looking for some help.

I replaced my factory headunit in my 05 Yukon XL Denali with a Kenwood 6960. I had the Bose systems, and left the factory amp in the vehicle. I also got a GMOS-04 from Crutchfield to install with the headunit. Everything works fine, but every once in a while (from 1 day to 2 weeks), when I start the vehicle, I won't get sound out of the right speakers, but only get significant alternator whine. After the whine starts, the only way I can get rid of it is to either drop power from the battery, or disconnect the headunit or GMOS-04. I also recently found out that if I unplug and replug the right rear RCA input from the radio to the GMOS-04, it also takes care of the problem, until it comes back again some days later.

I worked with Crutchfield tech support and also Metra support. They thought the GMOS-04 was bad, so I replaced both the GMOS-04 and the wiring harnesses that came with the GMOS. After I did this, I didn't have the whine problem for about 2 weeks, but yesterday it started again.

I called Crutchfield today and they are now stating that my Bose amp is probably dying and I need to replace it. I owned this vehicle for almost 2 years now and I have never had this issue with the stock deck, and it only started happening after I installed the new headunit and the GMOS-04, so I'm having a hard time believing it's the Bose AMP.

In the debug process I already swapped the right and left inputs and waited until the whine came back. The Right Speakers remained the side that had the issue. This is why Crutchfield is stating it's the AMP which is the problem.

Has anyone heard of this issue, or have any ideas what I can do to help fix or further isolate the issue? Thanks for the help...

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.. I've got an odd one for you guys... looking for some help.

I replaced my factory headunit in my 05 Yukon XL Denali with a Kenwood 6960. I had the Bose systems, and left the factory amp in the vehicle. I also got a GMOS-04 from Crutchfield to install with the headunit. Everything works fine, but every once in a while (from 1 day to 2 weeks), when I start the vehicle, I won't get sound out of the right speakers, but only get significant alternator whine. After the whine starts, the only way I can get rid of it is to either drop power from the battery, or disconnect the headunit or GMOS-04. I also recently found out that if I unplug and replug the right rear RCA input from the radio to the GMOS-04, it also takes care of the problem, until it comes back again some days later.

I worked with Crutchfield tech support and also Metra support. They thought the GMOS-04 was bad, so I replaced both the GMOS-04 and the wiring harnesses that came with the GMOS. After I did this, I didn't have the whine problem for about 2 weeks, but yesterday it started again.

I called Crutchfield today and they are now stating that my Bose amp is probably dying and I need to replace it. I owned this vehicle for almost 2 years now and I have never had this issue with the stock deck, and it only started happening after I installed the new headunit and the GMOS-04, so I'm having a hard time believing it's the Bose AMP.

In the debug process I already swapped the right and left inputs and waited until the whine came back. The Right Speakers remained the side that had the issue. This is why Crutchfield is stating it's the AMP which is the problem.

Has anyone heard of this issue, or have any ideas what I can do to help fix or further isolate the issue? Thanks for the help...

Do you have a power wire running to another amp for a Sub? Or how bout any other power wires which come close or near the speaker? If you do, check the ground for your amp, or whatever you may have that is using that power wire.

OP
OP
T

twbauer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No other amps (except for the factory bose)... just the GMOS-04 connecting to the system (including the bose). I do also have the SWI-JACK to provide steering wheel control.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise is the trickiest thing to isolate in a system. Most common problems are: 1) Power and Signal wire routed down the same side of the vehicle, Big NO NO yet some lazy installers do it. 2) Check where the AMP is mounted, remove it and scrape away all paint from the body of ur trk where the Amp is bolted. 3) ground wire as previously stated.

When none of those works, cheap fix is to install a noise filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack