Remanned Alternator Whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2005 tahoe
Replaced alternator with a reman unit from NAPA earlier this year under warranty

I got out of the tahoe to check the mail and heard this whining sound and wasn’t sure if this is cause for concern or if it’s “normal” in remanned units. I figured it shouldn’t make any noise but just wanted to confirm. I used a stethoscope and it was definitely louder on the alternator than the PS pump but I also heard it pretty clearly there as well.

Assuming I need to replace it I’m going to bypass the warranty process and order a new unit from RockAuto — are there preferred brands other than ACDelco or do I just bite the bullet with an OEM part?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can really pin-point it by hearing it and unplugging the alternator, while running, and if noise stops, it is the alternator. In my Garage section thread, I had a 2010 Camry I was working on and had the same noise. I unplugged it and noise went away. Plugged back in and noise came back. Replaced it. Problem solved. Still with AC Delco or Genuine GM parts. When you look at RA for alternator, there are a couple of choices. Verify correct application and order as needed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz