Alternator hum/buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory nav stereo, and also an early “lockpick”. Recently I started getting a hum/buzz consistent with engine rpms. Sometimes if i smack the side of the dash where the head-unit is it will go away for awhile.

Any idea what might be the issue? I’m thinking a ground issue. Anywhere specific to look or something to do?

It’s driving me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have the factory nav stereo, and also an early “lockpick”. Recently I started getting a hum/buzz consistent with engine rpms. Sometimes if i smack the side of the dash where the head-unit is it will go away for awhile.

Any idea what might be the issue? I’m thinking a ground issue. Anywhere specific to look or something to do?

It’s driving me crazy!

I had the same thing coming only from the rear speakers.

I figured out that it was basically a bad ground at the rear controls on the back of the console.

I unplugged the harness and bent a couple pins slightly and the problem is gone. I can't remember which pins off the top of my head but I found them by looking for grounds in a wiring diagram for the rear audio controls.

To test if that is your problem, the next time it starts buzzing/whining reach back and press the power button on the rear control panel and see if the whining stops.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing coming only from the rear speakers.

I figured out that it was basically a bad ground at the rear controls on the back of the console.

I unplugged the harness and bent a couple pins slightly and the problem is gone. I can't remember which pins off the top of my head but I found them by looking for grounds in a wiring diagram for the rear audio controls.

To test if that is your problem, the next time it starts buzzing/whining reach back and press the power button on the rear control panel and see if the whining stops.

Thanks for the input, I already have/had that issue too. I found a thread awhile back and isolated that problem. I do use the search function tirelessly before posting. This is an altogether different animal and a lot louder, more annoying and out of all the speakers

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I already have/had that issue too. I found a thread awhile back and isolated that problem. I do use the search function tirelessly before posting. This is an altogether different animal and a lot louder, more annoying and out of all the speakers

Gotcha... well I am sorry to hear that is not your problem as it was a fairly easy fix.

One more thought... I remember reading on here recently about somebody adding a ground from the alternator or alternator bracket to the battery and it fixed a similar issue.

Hope that helps.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you always getting this noise, or are you getting this only while using the aux port?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm6t