Alternator dies, now multpile systems down (BCM?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jberry86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They're all good and receiving power with the exception of the unlock/lock fuses and swc_bklt which are good fuses, but not receiving power. I can remove the fuse and check the socket with test light or meter and there's no power.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you checked all your fuse at the battery?, the ground cables are also known to go bad just because it looks ok doesn't mean it is

OP
OP
J

Jberry86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's bound to be either CEL or internal BCM codes that need to be seen to know what's going on inside. Where do you live Joey? Maybe someone here lives nearby and has the proper scan tool like a Tech2.
Yeah, definitely needs to be scanned. I'm in oklahoma city. I could tow it to the shop, i just wish i could do this myself.

OP
OP
J

Jberry86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you checked all your fuse at the battery?, the ground cables are also known to go bad just because it looks ok doesn't mean it is
Yeah, there's just the one mega fuse and power is passing through it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy your own Tech2, they've come way down in price and are an essential tool for working on these trucks.

It would be helpful if the forum owner created a map of where everyone lives (should they choose to participate) that way we can help each other out in person. Sorry, too far away to come on over!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You can buy your own Tech2, they've come way down in price and are an essential tool for working on these trucks.

It would be helpful if the forum owner created a map of where everyone lives (should they choose to participate) that way we can help each other out in person. Sorry, too far away to come on over!

We have a map showing members locations on another forum (motorcycle) I am a member of. It is simply a Google map with overlays that is maintained by a couple of the members.

They only enter your location by zip code that way no one feels uncomfortable by listing specific home addresses and by doing it that way it also doesn't become a tool for any would be thieves or vandals. To get added to the list you simply get a hold of one of them and give them your zip code. They add you to the map with your location denoted by your avatar on the forum and your forum name. The guys that maintain it usually pop into any new members introduction thread and welcome them and ask if they want to be added to the map.

OP
OP
J

Jberry86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty awesome.. Worth a look definitely.

I had been looking on ebay for one. I guess they're mostly knockoffs, but should get the job done, right?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
china clone tech 2's seem to work just fine, still like 300 bucks, but better then a couple grand.

theres a site dgate.com iirc. the more you buy the cheaper they get, was trying for a group buy on another forum but it fell flat.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about ebay Tech2s, bought mine from the factory in China that makes/made them for Vetronix. Some of the menu options are different, as they are compared with older versions of the Tech2 made by Bosch and OTC but it does what I need it to do and use it almost daily.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, this would be one of those times that I would pay to have a professional diagnostic done... too many possibilities. I know for a DIY-er it's a painful thought, but you could still choose to do the repairs yourself (or not) once you have a proper diagnostic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks