Already changed the mode door....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARogg619

Reaction score
My 2000 lately will only blow air thru the dash vents. All of my reading lead me to thinking I needed to replace the mode door actuator. I changed it yesterday and it still doesn't do anything. I dont even hear or see anything happen when I turn the dial. HELP! Its getting colder here and I need my defrost and some heat on my feet! Any ideas??!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2000 lately will only blow air thru the dash vents. All of my reading lead me to thinking I needed to replace the mode door actuator. I changed it yesterday and it still doesn't do anything. I dont even hear or see anything happen when I turn the dial. HELP! Its getting colder here and I need my defrost and some heat on my feet! Any ideas??!
Try disconnecting the battery to reset?

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Try disconnecting the battery to reset?

I pulled the fuse when i did the install but when I get home later im gonna try the battery reset. I was trying to avoid that because of having to reset all my stereo stuff but im hoping thats a small price to pay if just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery makes the doors work

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which door did you change? Because I think there are 3 of them. 2 are easily accessed, but the third requires dash removal. :-(

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Which door did you change? Because I think there are 3 of them. 2 are easily accessed, but the third requires dash removal. :-(
The mode door actuator. Under the drivers side, above the gas pedal, the one with the top bolt that almost made me question life itself trying to remove it

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
BTW, I didnt get to disconnect the battery last night. Worked late, then walked into a list of things the wife needed done so ill tackle the battery in the truck tonight. Im hopeful this fixes my issue but idk...

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
So i pulled the battey, did the reset. I heard the doors cycle and now i have air thru both the defrost and vents all the time no matter what position the knob is in. I mean, i wanted defrost and I got it but why isnt it working correctly!?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours follows the same as the 2003+, there are 3 blend doors. And it sounds like the one you need to fix is the one that requires dash removal. The only other thing you can try before going down that rabbit hole is the relearn procedure. I know it exists, but don't have a link to it. I'd suggest searching this site. Normally I'd do it, but I can't this morning.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
If yours follows the same as the 2003+, there are 3 blend doors. And it sounds like the one you need to fix is the one that requires dash removal. The only other thing you can try before going down that rabbit hole is the relearn procedure. I know it exists, but don't have a link to it. I'd suggest searching this site. Normally I'd do it, but I can't this morning.
I thought the "relearn" was to disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect and turn the key to on but not start. Then when the doors stop cycling, Id be good. I did all that, twice actually. Still doesnt work as it should. It seemed to only make a difference the first time I did it. No matter what setting i set the mode to ( floor, dash, mix, vent ) its always dash and defrost now. Is there a further relearn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar