AirRaid JR - disappointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I noticed the drone too - especially when towing (right before it downshifts). Did not notice any change in gas mileage (increase or decrease).

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I am mechanically challenged. However, after reading about the AirRaid Jr kit on this forum & its ease of install, I went ahead and ordered one. Installed it about 4 months ago. While there is a bit of extra pep at get go, It tends to bog down and often at certain RPM"s there is an overwhelming drone and sometime rattle type sound. and about a 1.0- 1.5 drop in MPG.

Thinking about going back to stock - I was hoping this would help with poor towing performance but it is so loud - (not in a good way).

Any one experience similar issues ?

I wonder if the rattling sound is a sign of running lean. Can you describe the sound a little more?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The modular intake tube is whats making the noise. Personally that noise is awesome in my ears. and can only be heard when you really step on it. It's not a rattling noise though... you sure it's the intake tube?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing with an intake will give you a rattling sound unless something is loose and hitting on metal. is it a pinging sound or a rattling sound?

tlsnokuyeulb

Reaction score
I had a rattle, still do, after I installed. I remember reading somewhere on here that the rattle is actually the tranny dipstick tube hitting something. Mine comes near the passenger side. It doesn't sound like a ping though, at least mine doesn't. After reading that, I never took care of the problem.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28071&highlight=Rattle+engine&page=2

Found the thread. I think there are others too. I read a lot because I didn't want to take the intake off and put the stock intake back on.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air box loose? Check all your connections. I have the airaid MIT and this Sounds very unusual compared to mine.

Thegreatbustado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My tahoe had mpg loss because when I put the intake tube on (airaid jr) I wiped down the throttle body and cleaned it because I had the tube off already ....
The ECm actually threw a check engine light because the tps to tps percentages were out of tolerance ...

The sound of mine is awesome I also ported the lower air box a bit and she howls when you want it to
The wife never even knew its on there I think it's the best bang for your buck while keeping factory filtration

When I got the truck
15.7mpg
With Gibson cat back
16.8mpg
Gibson and airaid and throttle position codes
16.2mpg
With Gibson and airaid jr throttle position reset
17.8mpg

Each one was over 1-1500 miles of mixed driving with the exception of the codes one that was close to 500miles

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Could your mileage be going down becuase you are putting your foot in it a little bit more? A drone is to be expected with any open element filter like that. Volant intakes dont have much of a drone becuase its a closed box like the original GM box.

The only thing that could be rattling would be the air box frame loose and possibly the filter hitting it from vibrating, thats about it.

OP
OP
dmannx

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perhaps rattlng was the wrong word to describe the sound. Regardless - I re-installed the stock intake an the noise is gone. I checked all connections on the Airaid - everything was tight.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Put the Airaid MIT up on craiglist today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz