AirRaid JR - disappointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off I am mechanically challenged. However, after reading about the AirRaid Jr kit on this forum & its ease of install, I went ahead and ordered one. Installed it about 4 months ago. While there is a bit of extra pep at get go, It tends to bog down and often at certain RPM"s there is an overwhelming drone and sometime rattle type sound. and about a 1.0- 1.5 drop in MPG.

Thinking about going back to stock - I was hoping this would help with poor towing performance but it is so loud - (not in a good way).

Any one experience similar issues ?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had none of those issues you're describing. Not sure what to tell you. Have you tried tightening all the clamps? Are you sure the rattle is coming from the intake?

even without a tune you should get less MPG. I don't have a tune and I noticed 1mpg increase.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I have the airaid and if you think it's loud then you must have extra sensitive ears because its not even noticeable unless you know it's there and are listening.

OP
OP
dmannx

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the airaid and if you think it's loud then you must have extra sensitive ears because its not even noticeable unless you know it's there and are listening.

it's the drone sound that is over the top - especially when towing up hill.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's the drone sound that is over the top - especially when towing up hill.

That's where the stock intake with the resonator takes out the drone.
I have not tried a aftermarket intake and probably never will with my set-up.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably be in Oceanside in a week or two, hoping to install my Airaid Jr. before the trip, then get a tune done at Black Bear in San Diego while I'm out there. If you want to meet up at some point we can compare notes, and if you want to get a tune done while you're at it we can caravan down to BBP.

Sorry you're having problems with it.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could take up to 1 - 2 tanks of gas for the computer to adjust for the changes on the airflow. You did not touch the MAF sensor did you ??
You could also try MAF sensor cleaner (NOTHING ELSE) just follow the directions on the can. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys and most auto parts carries the MAF sensor cleaner.

Non of this will help with the drone, just maybe with the mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269