Airaid Poweraid throttle body spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I'll be the first to admit that I am very skeptical to claims about improved power and fuel economy when it comes to only adding a little piece of metal between the intake manifold and the throttle body, but TODAY I'M EATING MY WORDS.

My birthday was last month and I received some Visa and Amex gift cards as gifts (best presents in the word, IMO). I decided to buy the Airaid throttle body spacer on Amazon, because it was the ceapest I caould find at $113. It just arrived today via Fedex. Temps outside were nice, so I decided to install it. It only took about 30 miniutes total. Immediately after install I went for a test drive to see if it really works.

I have found that my hoe is the worst at acceleration when I'm getting on to the freeway with a cloverleaf ramp. I'm happy to report this is no longer the case, even with the a/c on full blast. I definitley recommend getting this item.

Install was very easy, and it came with easy to follow instructions, and all the hardware you need is provided. The only tools I needed were:

10mm deep 6-point socket
10mm 6-point socket
socket wrench (I used a 1/4" drive)
E-5 torx socket
an allen key (I forget the size, but I think it was #4 or #5)
flat head screwdriver.

I'm sorry that I don't have pics. My wife is the picture person. Needless to say, there really isn't much to show. Everything is hidden once the engine cover is reinstalled. Additionally, this kit does account for the relocation of the intake tube mount to the intake manifold because the throttle body is moved forward. The kit comes with the hardware and instructions on fixing this. This was the easiest thing I have ever installed on any car before.

The only word of caution I have is that the instructions tell you to use a 4mm socket to remove the upper throttle body mounting bolts from the intake manifold. When I got to that point it was obvious to me that was not going to be smart. Use the E-5 torx socket instead. Using a 4mm socket has the potential of stripping the torx head on the bolt.

Here's a link for the exact product I'm talking about.
http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=200-617

Last edited:

carbon//m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! i am going to add this to the list!! Is this the only mod on to your engine?

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
So far, yes. This is the only mod I have done to my truck's engine, and the second aftermarket item I have installed on her so far. The first was a leveling kit. All other things I have done were GM Accessory items, and were more cosmetic (roof rack cross bars, all weather mats, front console accessories, and towing hardware). Thus far, I am not running a cai (coming Nov 2011), exhaust (coming in 2012), or anything else that could add power.

I'm considering going to a dyno and doing a comparison with and without the throttle body spacer just to confirm what the butt dyno is already telling me.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Last edited:

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please do the dyno and post it up but my guess is that you will be disappointed...the seat of pants dyno is very deceiving

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please do the dyno and post it up but my guess is that you will be disappointed...the seat of pants dyno is very deceiving

^^this

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
I'm very seriously considering the dyno. One of the reasons I went with this is because I have a friend in Utah that said going up a particular canyon while towing his 5th wheel he would have to downshift about midway up. Once he installed this he almost made it to the top before having to downshift. He's very humble and not one to embellish.

I'll see if I can arrange something through my tuner/engineer that has a friend with a shop that has a dyno. Through him we'll be able to get both corrected and uncorrected numbers, and AFR readings. If Airaids claims about better atomization of fuel being caused by twirling air, which is caused by the throttle body, are true, I think it would show in the AFRs.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Baker1k

Reaction score
Just look for a shop having a dyno day usually 3 runs on the dyno for $50 when they do that. I'd kinda like to know what difference it would really make, it seem to work pretty good on my old silverado but I put a bunch of parts on at once so never knew what help the most lol.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only throttle body spacer worth anything more than a paperweight is one that has nitrious nozzles attached to it. Sorry, but placebo affect...it has been proven time and time again that they are just as much snake oil as the Tornado...please save your money by not going to the dyno.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about the tornado the new 3.6 eco boost F150 has two of them in the factory air ducts, OEM is driven by the aftermarket industry, I remember when 20" wheels were huge now you get 22"+ stock, I give it 5 years before TB spacers are installed OEM

The only throttle body spacer worth anything more than a paperweight is one that has nitrious nozzles attached to it. Sorry, but placebo affect...it has been proven time and time again that they are just as much snake oil as the Tornado...please save your money by not going to the dyno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chulai69

Latest posts