Air ride delete to passive suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_from_cincy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay so I’ve locked down the shocks, struts, and springs I’m gonna use to get rid of the air ride suspension. For the cost of the rear air shocks and compressor i can put new bilstein 5100’s on all four corners and level out the front end by 2.5” and might even put a spacer under the upgraded rear springs or go with an air lift 1000 system to reduce sag when towing our boat. Here’s my question folks the resistors i need to wire in.... I’ve read from some of the forums to use 20w 3.5ohm resistors and others say to use 50w 6ohm can anyone shed some light on which would be the best for this application please

M4mckeen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interested as well, can you just get shocks and components for a non air ride to make this work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chris_from_cincy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far from the research I've done, pretty sure that's all it is. although it's hard buying parts for this swap because all the websites like summit, jegs, amazon, all say parts don't fit although they should because some of the 07-14 tahoes came with passive suspension. I'll keep you posted on my progress when I actually get into the swap. I've read that Arnott suspension has a decent swap kit, I've heard A LOT of mixed reviews about the Suncore swap products. So those might be something for you to look into. I wanted to add a bit of lift to the fronts and a beefy rear setup because I tow with the tahoe. That's why I'm going the bilstein 5100 route and Moog Heavy duty rear springs.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5100/moog hd springs are definitely the way to go. Thats how i was set up and it worked great, now they just sit in my shed since i just lowered the tahoe haha.

OP
OP
C

Chris_from_cincy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 5100/moog hd springs are definitely the way to go. Thats how i was set up and it worked great, now they just sit in my shed since i just lowered the tahoe haha.
what'd you do for the pesky service suspension light? did you wire in the resistors or just let it go?

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what'd you do for the pesky service suspension light? did you wire in the resistors or just let it go?

I dont have air I was basically just commenting on the set up for towing. But my buddy has the set up plus the air ride and he sent me this.

25 Watt, 3.9 Ohm resistors, No error messages.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have air I was basically just commenting on the set up for towing. But my buddy has the set up plus the air ride and he sent me this.

25 Watt, 3.9 Ohm resistors, No error messages.
was this on just on the two rear shocks or on all four ride height sensors as well? I have resistors on the shocks but still have the message in the DIC

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
I used 4 of these when I got rid of my Z55 system . No issues
Amazon link

5100's up front with factory springs on stock setting and stock spring perch (this raised my front to what is was with the stock springs/struts and a 1.5" spacer lift)
5100's in the rear with the non HD Moog springs. (airlift for towing)

Sits level.

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
You will get the message if the fuse is blown or the relay is bad even if you have the resistors. I found that out after I removed the relay and fuses so power wouldn’t go to the compressor. Immediate error message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts