Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs with OE compressor, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PLohr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
We have a 2008 Denali with the air assist shocks in the rear. The air bladders on the rear shocks are worn out and leaking. I have a few questions that maybe someone could help with.

What is the typical life span of the OE air assist shocks? Mine are AC Delco PN 5801095.

I was thinking of using regular shocks (without the air bladders) along with Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs. The Air Lift Helper Springs would connect to the OE compressor, if this is possible. I thought maybe the Air Lift Helper Springs would outlast the OE air assist shocks. This setup would probably be a good bit cheaper than a good set of air assist shocks.
  • Has anyone tried using Air Lift Helper Springs with the OE compressor? The air line connections are certainly a question.
  • Does anyone know if the Air Lift Helper Springs make any squeaking noises? I see that they are squeezed into the coil spring and thought they might squeak.
Thank you for any help.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris @iamdub may be able to answer the air bag question. I have the same rig as you and still have stock shocks. They’re more expensive but getting 12 years and keeping the rig as designed is hard to beat.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 with a replacement arnott compressor and a pair of arnott replacement air assist shocks bought from a member here.

I added some airlift 1000s before I replaced my blown out original shocks. I kept them in there after the shock replacement. Kept the air completely independent. The working pressures of the 2 systems are totally incompatible. The Airlifts have a max pressure of 30 I think and the factory system several times higher than that.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 with a replacement arnott compressor and a pair of arnott replacement air assist shocks bought from a member here.

I added some airlift 1000s before I replaced my blown out original shocks. I kept them in there after the shock replacement. Kept the air completely independent. The working pressures of the 2 systems are totally incompatible. The Airlifts have a max pressure of 30 I think and the factory system several times higher than that.
This is correct. The airlift bags are only designed to hold a max of 35 PSI in each bag. The factory air compressor would way overload them.
@PLohr
As to your replacement shocks question it totally depends on what you’re going to use the vehicle for. If you’re not doing any sort of towing then a standard shock and resistor worked into place for the auto ride sensor isn’t a bad way to go, it’s way cheaper, however I believe changing out the coil spring is also required on that solution.
If you plan to tow at all replacing them with the arnott air ride shocks is 100% the best way to go. It keeps the air ride shocks and the soft and stable OEM ride quality, plus if your towing it keeps the auto level function which I think is a major benefit when towing.
I have a 2006 xl Denali with factory air ride. I replaced my blown factory air shocks with the arnott air shocks and couldn’t be happier. It rides really well. Their shocks are the best. I also have a set of airlift springs installed in my rear coil springs as I do a lot of towing and the airlift bags help tremendously. My truck is incredibly stable when I’m pulling the near 6,000lb sea ray speed boat that I help with. I run air to them from a separate compressor.

OP
OP
P

PLohr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys, thank you for helping me.

To summarize, I learned that the Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs (air bags) aren’t designed to work at the higher pressure that the OE air shocks are able to withstand.

I had a thought about trying to find a lower pressure cut off sensor to accommodate the Air Lift air bags when integrated with the OE air system. Not sure that such a sensor can be purchased. I have not thought this through so there may be other issues which I haven’t considered.

I wanted to buy the remanufactured Arnott shocks but when I saw the warranty is only 90 days, I became a little wary. The new AC Delco shocks have a lifetime warranty but cost $150 more. We tend to keep vehicles for a very long time.

Thanks for your kind and patient help.

correction: Arnott’s warranty is lifetime limited. Sorry, my mistake.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep it another 12 years the cost of good shocks once gives you peace of mind. In my book you can’t put a price on that.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I saw the warranty is only 90 days

Where did you see this? (Link?)

Looks to me like all Arnotts products are limited lifetime warranty.

Was also surprised just now to see them listed at Autozones website where they also state limited lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
P

PLohr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you see this? (Link?)

Looks to me like all Arnotts products are limited lifetime warranty.

Was also surprised just now to see them listed at Autozones website where they also state limited lifetime warranty.

My mistake. Arnott’s warranty is lifetime limited. The warranty on shocks is not mentioned in their warranty PDF. I asked at Arnott, they verified the lifetime limited warranty.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, thank you for helping me.

To summarize, I learned that the Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs (air bags) aren’t designed to work at the higher pressure that the OE air shocks are able to withstand.

I had a thought about trying to find a lower pressure cut off sensor to accommodate the Air Lift air bags when integrated with the OE air system. Not sure that such a sensor can be purchased. I have not thought this through so there may be other issues which I haven’t considered.

I wanted to buy the remanufactured Arnott shocks but when I saw the warranty is only 90 days, I became a little wary. The new AC Delco shocks have a lifetime warranty but cost $150 more. We tend to keep vehicles for a very long time.

Thanks for your kind and patient help.

correction: Arnott’s warranty is lifetime limited. Sorry, my mistake.

I have been very happy with the Arnott air shocks that I have put in my vehicles.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite finished with testing the Air Lift bags on the factory compressor. But, I'm working with a lowered suspension (shorter springs) and other alterations that make mine versus yours an apples to oranges comparison. For your purposes, just get replacement shocks. I'm going above and beyond to make it work and, even then, it may be a lost cause. I just have a thing or two left to rule out before I can officially nail that coffin shut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12

Latest posts