Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs with OE compressor, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

PLohr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not quite finished with testing the Air Lift bags on the factory compressor. But, I'm working with a lowered suspension (shorter springs) and other alterations that make mine versus yours an apples to oranges comparison. For your purposes, just get replacement shocks. I'm going above and beyond to make it work and, even then, it may be a lost cause. I just have a thing or two left to rule out before I can officially nail that coffin shut.

Thank you for your help.

Even if the results don't end up being as you had hoped, I encourage you to finish this project. I have learned a lot from taking on projects such as this one that you now have in your hands. I haven't always created a useful product at the end but the learning experience has usually been well worth the effort.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This interesting to me only for conversation purposes. My line of thinking is that if the bags when at their max operating pressure will move the suspension to the point that it satisfies the ride hight sensors then it should stop the compressor. If there is real worry that it wouldn’t work that way couldn’t you limit the pressure with a pressure switch that interrupts the compressor power? I suppose you could get a code if the height sensors are not satisfied for some reason.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the results don't end up being as you had hoped, I encourage you to finish this project. I have learned a lot from taking on projects such as this one that you now have in your hands. I haven't always created a useful product at the end but the learning experience has usually been well worth the effort.

Word! And I'm gonna push forth until I've ruled out all I can. I researched as much as I could and chatted back and forth with other members here, but all I could really get was "it can't/won't work". Never could get a solid reason why and those that tried didn't really have much info on their setup. I had the bags and a new compressor on hand so I dove in. Knowing if something would or wouldn't work often doesn't satisfy me- I gotta know why it will or won't. You can bank on me posting up pics and results as I'm one to document things. Look through my build thread and you'll see I tend to do my own thing in my own way. There was a time when I was the one scouring forums for info that wasn't there. There still are plenty of those times. Regardless if I get what I want out of a project, someone is bound to at least get something helpful with theirs!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Word! And I'm gonna push forth until I've ruled out all I can. I researched as much as I could and chatted back and forth with other members here, but all I could really get was "it can't/won't work". Never could get a solid reason why and those that tried didn't really have much info on their setup. I had the bags and a new compressor on hand so I dove in. Knowing if something would or wouldn't work often doesn't satisfy me- I gotta know why it will or won't. You can bank on me posting up pics and results as I'm one to document things. Look through my build thread and you'll see I tend to do my own thing in my own way. There was a time when I was the one scouring forums for info that wasn't there. There still are plenty of those times. Regardless if I get what I want out of a project, someone is bound to at least get something helpful with theirs!

Did you see my post in his other thread on this?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...My line of thinking is that if the bags when at their max operating pressure will move the suspension to the point that it satisfies the ride hight sensors then it should stop the compressor.

My thoughts as well and is why I moved forward with it. Being lowered, rarely ever towing or even carrying any real cargo weight, etc. and not having much suspension travel in the first place made me think that it could work. I'm down to an inch or so of discrepancy, but I also wanna lower the rear about 3/4" more. This would squash the bag that much, which would give it ~3/4" more uptravel. The amount of pressure it would take to expand it upward that 3/4" is the question. It's still too close to determine and I've been distracted with just getting the damned thing on the road again.

...If there is real worry that it wouldn’t work that way couldn’t you limit the pressure with a pressure switch that interrupts the compressor power? I suppose you could get a code if the height sensors are not satisfied for some reason.

This would be a good safety measure. But, if it doesn't level it with 35psi then the idea is essentially pointless, IMO.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My thoughts as well and is why I moved forward with it. Being lowered, rarely ever towing or even carrying any real cargo weight, etc. and not having much suspension travel in the first place made me think that it could work. I'm down to an inch or so of discrepancy, but I also wanna lower the rear about 3/4" more. This would squash the bag that much, which would give it ~3/4" more uptravel. The amount of pressure it would take to expand it upward that 3/4" is the question. It's still too close to determine and I've been distracted with just getting the damned thing on the road again.

This would be a good safety measure. But, if it doesn't level it with 35psi then the idea is essentially pointless, IMO.
I agree and don’t see why they wouldn’t if you compare the diameter and figure the added surface area will provide the lift needed. I would totally try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins