Aftermarket stereo.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many options for stereos...and most are out of stock. This chip shortage is hurting so many industries right now. I think I found one that will work for me. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have onboard gps. I wanted to have built in gps and an external mic for under $500 but they just aren't available. So I found one that will do Android auto with an external mic and also has an extra usb port so I can play some music without taking up my phone space. My question is, does anyone have a picture or good idea of a place to put the microphone? Also, I would like to use a empty switch panel to connect my usb for my phone though. Is there special plug or something I could use to accomplish that? Sorry for the questions, but this will be my first install on my own. Pics appreciated.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mostly any external mic's are put up on the top of the drivers side window pillar, others clip them on the edge of the instrument cluster. seems like they work better up on the pillar.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The pillar probably would be a good spot. Can't be too hard to run the wire over there.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did these years come with the OnStar option? Or an overhead console? That's where the mic is mounted on my 2001. See what one of your local junkyards have and pull that mic/wiring out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the mics that I have installed on my vehicles are installed at the top of the headliner just to the left of the left edge of the rear view mirror, and the mic is pointing directly at me. And, all of my mics were installed by professional installers .

. That does not necessarily mean it's better, just different.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did these years come with the OnStar option? Or an overhead console? That's where the mic is mounted on my 2001. See what one of your local junkyards have and pull that mic/wiring out.
Mine has an overhead console. These years didn't come with mic's from the factory....at least the two I have owned didn't. I am not opposed to putting it there. It's just running the mic wire up there. Can't be too hard to do. I will already have the dash out, so getting to the pillar will be easy enough. Then up the pillar and across the top. I am going to check it out. Might be a good spot.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up just putting it on the column. This was by far the easiest spot for me. Tested with a phone call and it worked perfect. I may move it in the future, but right now this will work for me.

20220509_125608.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26