Aftermarket HU with no rear speaker sound after

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bo6by

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is my first post here ,but I’ve been lurking taking in info for the 8 months I’ve owned my 2001 Yukon.

my truck is a SLT with the 7 speaker non Bose system with rear audio controls.
The subwoofer was no good along with the door speakers blown out,still working but not good sound .
So I installed a aftermarket double din HU and bypassed the stock amplifier with the metra 70-2002 harness repinned to retain the front and rear door speakers and lose the D pillar tweeters and sub. (Planning on aftermarket amp/sub in the future).

the issue I’m having is the front door speakers work perfectly ,but the rear doors aren’t working at all now,but were before the install .
I’m wondering if the rear controls have something to do with this issue ?ifso how would I bypass the unit ?

I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything that informs me on my issue.
I am aware that the rear control not working would cause this issue,but I thought with the amp bypassed and basically using the speaker wires direct to the speakers all would be well.

the only other thing I could think is maybe the rear controls are powered from the smaller plug for the stock radio that I didn’t use because of the amp bypass.(couldn’t find any solid info on this either)

any help is appreciated. Whether someone knows how to get past the issue at the rear controls or can simply tell me how to power the rear controls and leave the control in place if that is the issue.

I am not opposed to running speaker wire direct from the HU to the rear speakers,but would rather not if I didn’t need to.

Thanks

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typical the rear speakers are driven directly off the amplifier. if the amplifier isnt being triggered you wont get any sound out of the rear speakers. you will need to fully bypass the amplifier and go directly to the rear speakers. or reconnect the amplifier and bypass the rear controls. im not 100% on the rear controls tho but you cant bypass the amplifier without running new speaker wires.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran across this on my 03 while fixing all the spit-twisted connections behind the head. Rear amp needs a 12V turn-on via the head unit's amp turn-on.

OP
OP
B

Bo6by

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ran across this on my 03 while fixing all the spit-twisted connections behind the head. Rear amp needs a 12V turn-on via the head unit's amp turn-on.
So there's a second amp... Is it the same pink wIre from the second harness behind he HU?

OP
OP
B

Bo6by

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
typical the rear speakers are driven directly off the amplifier. if the amplifier isnt being triggered you wont get any sound out of the rear speakers. you will need to fully bypass the amplifier and go directly to the rear speakers. or reconnect the amplifier and bypass the rear controls. im not 100% on the rear controls tho but you cant bypass the amplifier without running new speaker wires.
I appreciate the reply. I figured this might be the only way.

OP
OP
B

Bo6by

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to post the resolution to my problem. I was mistaken when I thought the rear speakers were working before the stereo change.

I went ahead and installed the new rear door speakers and they worked. Didn't do anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts