Aftermarket dual climate control issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe that I replaced the main control with a Dorman unit due to damage to the factory piece. After installing you have to program the controller, and the system won’t stay programmed. Does anyone know what to do to correct this issue? I have disconnected the battery, removed and reinstalled, reprogrammed and disconnected the battery….. other than replacing with a factory piece I don’t know what else to do to rectify this issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe that I replaced the main control with a Dorman unit due to damage to the factory piece. After installing you have to program the controller, and the system won’t stay programmed. Does anyone know what to do to correct this issue? I have disconnected the battery, removed and reinstalled, reprogrammed and disconnected the battery….. other than replacing with a factory piece I don’t know what else to do to rectify this issue.
Exchange the dorman for another one, if it won't program then it's defective

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post up the Dorman model number; is it the manual or Auto HVAC head?

Neither of the two on RockAuto require programming, as is typical with these types of Dorman products. What "programming" are you trying to accomplish, and with what equipment?

1669311351269.png

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
Post up the Dorman model number; is it the manual or Auto HVAC head?

Neither of the two on RockAuto require programming, as is typical with these types of Dorman products. What "programming" are you trying to accomplish, and with what equipment?

View attachment 385924

Attachments

• C75D18EA-3398-403D-AEAB-6C76E5AE3D21.jpeg
    C75D18EA-3398-403D-AEAB-6C76E5AE3D21.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 4

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I bought the same unit, a Dorman. Kept only blowing air through the defrost. I exchanged it for another, and it did the same exact thing no matter what I did. Try to find a used oem unit.

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
This is the one I installed and the instructions are to disconnect the battery. Install and reconnect battery. start the vehicle for 40 sec. Shut the vehicle off and depress both the cold a/c and recirculation button together for 18 seconds and release. Buttons will flash 4 times then restart vehicle for additional 40 seconds the complete the programming.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK; I thought you were programming the calibration that is done with a Tech 2 or other scan tool.

After you do that orientation, what doesn't work on it?

Most Dorman products are lifetime warranty, so return it to the vendor if it doesn't work right. Ask for a replacement or your money back.

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
OK; I thought you were programming the calibration that is done with a Tech 2 or other scan tool.

After you do that orientation, what doesn't work on it?

Most Dorman products are lifetime warranty, so return it to the vendor if it doesn't work right. Ask for a replacement or your money back.
All of the functions work but it is just temporary. The controls have worked for a few weeks to only a few day after going through the setup again.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any other electrical issues with the truck? I doubt it would cause such a problem but is the battery healthy? Body and engine grounds good? I know that's pretty general but if it happens with multiple (same) modules there may be something else going on.

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
Any other electrical issues with the truck? I doubt it would cause such a problem but is the battery healthy? Body and engine grounds good? I know that's pretty general but if it happens with multiple (same) modules there may be something else going on.
I have no issues with anything else. All of the grounds are still intact and harness is still in great condition. The original unit worked fine until I tried replacing the lights and the temp controls were damaged trying to remove the plastic caps. That is why I have this Dorman piece. If I have to replace it again I would like to go with the digital.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019