AFM stuck in 4cyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrJP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A very good friend has an 2011, I think, Tahoe that is currently stuck in 4cyl mode. They are quoting her just over 2 grand at the dealership. Saying there is internal engine work and it takes days. Is there a way of disabling this or testing it. I don't trust this dealer. They have a rep for taking advantage of people, particularly young ladies.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So don't let her take it there. Start with disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 mins

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you gotta pull timing cover and heads, it's a lot of work. I'd junk the afm valve train, get the block of plate and regular valve train and shut it off on the computer. Look up afm Delet kits

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really in 4 cyl mode, or has a lifter(s) already failed, causing it to run like it's in 4 cyl mode. I thought the system 'failed' to 8 cyl mode when things went wrong, not the other way around.

OP
OP
M

MrJP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They said 4cyl. I believe it given how weak it is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the battery disconnect fixes it, I would disable the afm all together. I disabled mine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MrJP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
She traded rides. So no longer her problem. Thanks for the advice though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members