AFM lifter Failure = new engine + Many problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07denaliyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help me rescue my Denali from the dealership
2015 Yukon XL Denali, 6 speed

AFM lifter failure damaged camshaft and dropped parts into the Motor: GM Stepped up and provided a new motor, that's when the problems started:

1st time it was "done" 90 miles, the CEL
- Injectors replaced on new motor

2nd Time it was "done" 40 miles to CEL
- P2098 Code
- replace both right side O2 sensors
- replace CAT converter NOT cheap...

3rd time it was "done" 84 miles to CEL
- P2098 Code
- ???

?? What else can they try ??

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would contact GM customer service and get them involved. I would also speak to the Service Manager to see if this issue can be resolved. They in turn would need to contact GM to help determine what is causing the issue. You could also try a different GM Dealer if you are not happy with the current one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess would be the new engine likely did not include a new intake/injectors or fuel rail (but I guess it could have) so possibly not related to the new motor at all, same for 02 sensors those definitely would not have been engine related, your getting a lean code, check fuel pressure.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the motor blew it seems like parts went through the combustion chamber and out into the exhaust stream. This will damage and or destroy the O2 sensors and the cats.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AFM lifter failure damaged camshaft and dropped parts into the Motor: GM Stepped up and provided a new motor, that's when the problems started:

- P2098 Code

- P2098 Code
- ???

if all this is getting done at the dealer they should be able to troubleshoot it.
if it were me id check the wiring harness make sure nothing was damaged while engine was pulled and replaced if youve swapped the o2 sensors and cat on that side already. find someone with a standalone wideband and see if the that cylinder bank is actually running lean

im not really up on the DI stuff, but is there any reason that only that bank would go lean via low fuel pressure? is there a test port/relief/pressure sensor on that side what could cause pressure to drop if faulty?

OP
OP

07denaliyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update 12/28
GM tech won’t work on it unless I replace the magnaflow with the original muffler. I saved them and put it on again.

I informed them that I’ve had the magnaflow on for 35,000 miles with no CEL codes and their heavy engine tech has the same exhaust with no problems.

Stay tuned!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 12/28
GM tech won’t work on it unless I replace the magnaflow with the original muffler. I saved them and put it on again.

I informed them that I’ve had the magnaflow on for 35,000 miles with no CEL codes and their heavy engine tech has the same exhaust with no problems.

Stay tuned!

Ehrmagerd. So it's one of THOSE techs...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

- P2098 Code

- P2098 Code
- ???

sounds like they scammed you

P0420 is a catalytic converter issue on GM

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 12/28

Stay tuned!

That's dishonest. "Doveryai no Proveryai" Trust but verify!

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear this...I dont know if I would be able to keep my cool if I heard these idiots try to blame these issues on a muffler....do you hear any ticking sounds when driving (like an exhaust leak)?

Have them replace your exhaust manifold gaskets and Gasket at the y-pipe....that code can be caused by exhaust leaks