Afm delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

singhnyc

Reaction score
I wanted to know what is the best way to remove afm thanx

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, have you searched?...

There are a few ways-
Buy a tuner and shut it off.
Buy a custom tune with it shut off.
Buy a Range Device (that plugs into your OBD port and leaves no trace- for warranty concerns).
Use the M5 method (put it in manual mode, 5th gear, it will not go into AFM but you could still use it, in 6th, on the highway).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what is the best way to remove afm thanx

It's a lot more reliable and gets used more often in those Gen V motors because of the increased horsepower they make. Most folks turn it off electronically with a little device that plugs into the OBDII port or through some kind of tune.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your price range, then?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Best option- tune it out. Find a shop locally and have them do it. You can really wake the rig up with a few simple key strokes. Factory power enrichment settings are way off. It runs rich and just getting the fueling dialed in will make you think it’s a different engine. Also a few tweaks of the torque management settings in the trans segment will keep it from short shifting. Just because your going to a tuner doesn’t mean they are tuning for the most power, it’s all about volumetric efficiency. If you go that route, your gonna want it running top notch first. Do a tune up, don’t buy expensive plug wires, they won’t do anything for you besides drain your wallet. Be sure to check plug gaps and make sure there’s no exhaust or vacuum leaks.

Cheapest- OBDII plug for turning off the AFM.

You could buy a mail order tune but I do my best to steer people away from that. It’s a generic tune and it’s a waste of money IMHO.

HPTuners and do it yourself. It’s a learning curve but you can dial it in yourself, you’ll learn a lot and also have it when you do other mods, if you do. Gonna be expensive and frustrating at first but if your computer and mechanically inclined, it’s a nice tool to have.

First option or last option are the only two in my book. Looking at the pricing may detour you but find out what it costs when a lifter collapses and you gladly whip out that plastic card and do it. I done the lifters on that POS AFM engine. First it was done with Elgin lifter because they were suppose to be the updated design. Knocked on first start up. Yes, lifters were bled and primed. Second round went back to ACDelco lifters and guy ended up buying the OBDII plug because it was cheaper. In the end he finally scammed an aftermarket warranty company into putting a new engine in his truck. Not recommended.

1c7e1f8b5de51a42182ce2c38e7acc14.jpg

This is how far it was collapsed and made an awful ticking noise.

270bbc79fd61be38ad0a7f96b21ee616.jpg

Here’s before I fixed it.

After.

All I’m saying is get it before it becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
singhnyc

singhnyc

Reaction score
Best option- tune it out. Find a shop locally and have them do it. You can really wake the rig up with a few simple key strokes. Factory power enrichment settings are way off. It runs rich and just getting the fueling dialed in will make you think it’s a different engine. Also a few tweaks of the torque management settings in the trans segment will keep it from short shifting. Just because your going to a tuner doesn’t mean they are tuning for the most power, it’s all about volumetric efficiency. If you go that route, your gonna want it running top notch first. Do a tune up, don’t buy expensive plug wires, they won’t do anything for you besides drain your wallet. Be sure to check plug gaps and make sure there’s no exhaust or vacuum leaks.

Cheapest- OBDII plug for turning off the AFM.

You could buy a mail order tune but I do my best to steer people away from that. It’s a generic tune and it’s a waste of money IMHO.

HPTuners and do it yourself. It’s a learning curve but you can dial it in yourself, you’ll learn a lot and also have it when you do other mods, if you do. Gonna be expensive and frustrating at first but if your computer and mechanically inclined, it’s a nice tool to have.

First option or last option are the only two in my book. Looking at the pricing may detour you but find out what it costs when a lifter collapses and you gladly whip out that plastic card and do it. I done the lifters on that POS AFM engine. First it was done with Elgin lifter because they were suppose to be the updated design. Knocked on first start up. Yes, lifters were bled and primed. Second round went back to ACDelco lifters and guy ended up buying the OBDII plug because it was cheaper. In the end he finally scammed an aftermarket warranty company into putting a new engine in his truck. Not recommended.

1c7e1f8b5de51a42182ce2c38e7acc14.jpg

This is how far it was collapsed and made an awful ticking noise.

270bbc79fd61be38ad0a7f96b21ee616.jpg

Here’s before I fixed it.

After.

All I’m saying is get it before it becomes an issue.

The truck only has about 14k on it that's why I want to get it done know.
I am in nyc a lot of people use these trucks for taxi and around 100k to 115k the engines are going bad because of this and there are only 2 options that I know of right to fix this is if you catch it in time you can change the lifters and remove afm electric plate or the other option is swap the engine out.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
The truck only has about 14k on it that's why I want to get it done know.
I am in nyc a lot of people use these trucks for taxi and around 100k to 115k the engines are going bad because of this and there are only 2 options that I know of right to fix this is if you catch it in time you can change the lifters and remove afm electric plate or the other option is swap the engine out.

Yep, the lifters, solenoid plate and cam has to be changed and then it needs to be tuned out anyway. Replacing the engine isn’t necessary. The one I posted above is an LH6 engine, they are $2500 used.
It’s good that your being proactive now. I suggest to go get it tuned and done.

16rgs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, the lifters, solenoid plate and cam has to be changed and then it needs to be tuned out anyway. Replacing the engine isn’t necessary. The one I posted above is an LH6 engine, they are $2500 used.
It’s good that your being proactive now. I suggest to go get it tuned and done.

So you can tune it to delete the AFM as well as tweaking some of the other issues with out worrying about changing the lifters? Doing that would hopefully prevent lifter collapse. Sorry but not mechanically inclined. Thanks for the insight..

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you can tune it to delete the AFM as well as tweaking some of the other issues with out worrying about changing the lifters? Doing that would hopefully prevent lifter collapse. Sorry but not mechanically inclined. Thanks for the insight..
Yes and no. You can tune out the afm to not collapse the lifters and tweak other parameters as @Snowbound said but the crap lifters are still in there and there is no guarantee that the lifters will last, yes it will help but the lifters can still fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076