Advise on what double din stereo to buy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hello guys
I'm looking to upgrade my factory nav radio. The things that I would like to have are apps (Netflix, Pandora, etc). I would also like for my steering controls to work. I don't care to have a cd player since I stream Pandora. I also want to add the rear back up camera.

One other thing, what is needed to delete the rear stereo controls once I install the new headunit. Do I need to rewire the rear door speakers? to hear them with the new head unit?

My SUV is an 05 YD with the Bose system.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably want one of those apple or android car play units. I'm thinking about getting one. It mirrors your phone

chrmbly

Reaction score
I got a Sony XAV-AX5000. I wanted a capacative touchscreen (like your phone) vs the older style that you had to push harder on and were less responsive. Used to be only on the super high dollar headunits, but this one is more reasonably priced. Use it for CarPlay, but it does Android Auto as well. Has been a good unit so far.

I ordered through crutchfield and installed it myself. I used the PAC RP5-GM11 kit which keeps door chimes (although the little speaker thing they give you is a little annoying at first, but you get used to it - it WILL sound different), OnStar (which I don't know why i really bothered), and steering wheel controls. You will lose the ability to play the rear seat DVD player though the speakers. I didn't really care because I still have the wireless headphonese - those work fine for the kid.

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use any standard double DIN android head unit. Units with native apple car play are much more expensive but it is possible to get Apple Car Play to work on android units. The only down side is you need to cut out a little bit inside the dash for the radio itself to fit flush. There are a few integration harnesses that will keep door chimes, steering wheel control, on star, etc. You can also set up them up for Sirius/xm or with built in 3/4g instead of having to tether to your phone for data. I don't like mirroring because I'd rather do everything natively on the head unit.

David Kriss

Reaction score
I just put it a Pioneer NEX series head unit. I used the Metra harness without any problems. Don't listen to the people that say you have to delete the amp. I supplied switched power to the amp and all of the speakers work. If I remember correctly, you have to supply power to the pink wire on the second harness. I recommend that you search this forum for confirmation.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys
I'm looking to upgrade my factory nav radio. The things that I would like to have are apps (Netflix, Pandora, etc). I would also like for my steering controls to work. I don't care to have a cd player since I stream Pandora. I also want to add the rear back up camera.

One other thing, what is needed to delete the rear stereo controls once I install the new head unit. Do I need to rewire the rear door speakers? to hear them with the new head unit?

My SUV is an 05 YD with the Bose system.

I have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali, and I converted my audio system to the following:

Completely stripped out the entire BOSE system.
Head Unit - Kenwood DDX6904S (supports both Apple-Play and Android Auto. I use Android Auto. Converted 1 existing front USB under the front dashboard climate controls for phone cable Android Auto Connection. USB cable and jack lays in glove box for .mp3 memory stick usage).
METRA Universal Steering Wheel Control Adapter ASWC-1 (fully supports all steering wheel controls. Backup camera was disconnected with this adapter/conversion unit.)
Speakers: Front: Alpine SPS-610C Component; Rear Alpine SPS-610 Coax
Sub: Audiomobile GTS 2110 in a floor-firing custom box in a matching carpet covering located behind the center console and between the middle seats (acts as a table for the middle seats, as well).
Amps: Speakers: Kenwood XR4014 (75 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms); Sub: Rockford Fosgate don't remember model number (500 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms and attenuation control mounted under the steering wheel).
I never tried to access the rear stereo controls, so I don't know if they work after the conversion (but, only I touch the stereo controls).

It sounds great, and absolutely kicks butt!

I hope that this helps.

Joe

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I just put it a Pioneer NEX series head unit. I used the Metra harness without any problems. Don't listen to the people that say you have to delete the amp. I supplied switched power to the amp and all of the speakers work. If I remember correctly, you have to supply power to the pink wire on the second harness. I recommend that you search this forum for confirmation.

I will look into that pioneer, i've had several 1 din pioners and kenwoods and never have had any problems w their head units.

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

David what metra wiring harness did you use? Does it matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz