Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only Chevy suv with the 6.2 is the RST and it’s only an option then. Not available on the burb at all.

Wow, just when I think they pulled their head out of their ass they actually just shoved it up there farther... put the 6.2 in the Tahoe but not the Burb, yeah that makes all sorts of sense. Almost as bad as not being able to get the 6.2 if you want red o_O

I called it the Premier instead of RST because on their website that is what they call it (for the box to check anyway).

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what kinda mileage people are getting out the 5.3’s but I can easily get 18 mpg with the 6.2 if I don’t floor it from time to time.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what kinda mileage people are getting out the 5.3’s but I can easily get 18 mpg with the 6.2 if I don’t floor it from time to time.

We always got 18-20 with my wifes ‘15 Yukon SLT. Now she has a Denali XL and that has been more around 19-20.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a denali or an escalade. The l86 is awesome engine, plenty of power. The 5.3 will feel sluggish compared to the 6.2. The 6.0 feels sluggish compared to it. It also has dod, and thus gets great economy cruising down the highway. The magnetic suspension feels awesome on the highway, very smooth, keeps the truck planted even at speed. Been back and forth to Florida a few times in it, really cruising, and it rides great.

The new ones (2016+ i believe) have apple car play and the android equivalent.

The Denali/Escalade has heat/ventilated seats in front, heat in middle, and the third row folds flat.
Both have HID.
The new 10 speed is supposed to be great, with less issues than the early 8 speeds that jam, hunt, and buffet.

Best value? Denali with a bunch of options. Escalades are nice but I'd stick with a Denali. I don't like the tall taillights, and I don't know how much I value the extras the Escalades come with/can get over a Denali. The lights are a little nicer, interiors a little nicer, and has thee trick cupholders. I think they rate them a tiny bit higher in power but it's just a tune.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, just when I think they pulled their head out of their ass they actually just shoved it up there farther... put the 6.2 in the Tahoe but not the Burb, yeah that makes all sorts of sense. Almost as bad as not being able to get the 6.2 if you want red o_O

I called it the Premier instead of RST because on their website that is what they call it (for the box to check anyway).
Yeah is that kinda dumb?? 6.2 only on the Premier RST.. can’t get it on the LT or just the Premier, or burb at all. Maybe in the next model years we’ll see more options.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah is that kinda dumb?? 6.2 only on the Premier RST.. can’t get it on the LT or just the Premier, or burb at all. Maybe in the next model years we’ll see more options.

Well as far as not having it be an option on the lower models is one thing.... GMC has been doing it for years with the Denali, to the point that it almost seems normal. But for Chevy to offer it in the Tahoe and not the Suburban, which is obviously a bigger/heavier rig, just makes absolutely no sense. Like I cant even imagine what their reasoning might be for that.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instead of a RST Tahoe with the 6.2, get a 2 year old escalade for cheaper. Depreciation is your friend.

Hrocks

Reaction score
I was hell bent on getting a Tahoe RST with Brembos to add to the mint GMT 900 2010 LTZ, that I"m keeping for my son to drive. I had read and really dug into all of the booming and vibration issues, but wanted to believe that GM had worked out a fix or a change in their process to eliminate them. I visited a large dealership that had tons of '17 and '18 models. I took a brand new 17 out for a ride with the salesman. (who was a nice kid, but knew zero about cars and less about the Tahoe K2XX models.) Wow, was I surprised...all of the complaints were true--in spades!! The '17 had tire balance issues and the boominess was painful. Just like when a kid with a couple 1,000 watt amps and subwoofers gets nearby at a red light...you can barely hear it, but your ears and head feel what seems like when you're climbing to altitude in an airplane, except worse!

We went back an found an '18 RST to drive. The 6.2 definitely hauls arse...hard to believe a 3 ton truck can move that fast! When on the highway, this particular truck didn't have the vibration issue, and the boominess was somewhat muted, but you could still feel the pressure change in your head. I am very disappointed that GM could put out a product that costs $60K to upwards of $100,000 for an Escalade. The RST I wanted was $80k...no way...I bought another Lexus GX.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hell bent on getting a Tahoe RST with Brembos to add to the mint GMT 900 2010 LTZ, that I"m keeping for my son to drive. I had read and really dug into all of the booming and vibration issues, but wanted to believe that GM had worked out a fix or a change in their process to eliminate them. I visited a large dealership that had tons of '17 and '18 models. I took a brand new 17 out for a ride with the salesman. (who was a nice kid, but knew zero about cars and less about the Tahoe K2XX models.) Wow, was I surprised...all of the complaints were true--in spades!! The '17 had tire balance issues and the boominess was painful. Just like when a kid with a couple 1,000 watt amps and subwoofers gets nearby at a red light...you can barely hear it, but your ears and head feel what seems like when you're climbing to altitude in an airplane, except worse!

We went back an found an '18 RST to drive. The 6.2 definitely hauls arse...hard to believe a 3 ton truck can move that fast! When on the highway, this particular truck didn't have the vibration issue, and the boominess was somewhat muted, but you could still feel the pressure change in your head. I am very disappointed that GM could put out a product that costs $60K to upwards of $100,000 for an Escalade. The RST I wanted was $80k...no way...I bought another Lexus GX.

Yeah Lexus GX for the win! talk about a sweet ride! can we see some pictures? and how does it ride compared to a Tahoe/suburban?

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instead of a RST Tahoe with the 6.2, get a 2 year old escalade for cheaper. Depreciation is your friend.
That thing would most likely be full of transmission and suspension problems, if you were lucky enough to not have the booming and vibration issues of course.

Someone has to buy all of these used suvs but I really feel bad for those suckers. Thinking they beat depreciation but it’s not worth living with those issues. Lol

It’s not that hard to find a new Denali discounted $10k+. At that point, there’s not much depreciation to worry about vs buying used. Unless you put 50k+ miles on it the first year and/or trash the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebuilttahoe03