Advanced auto parts battery replacement true story

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Baylee Brown, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Baylee Brown

Baylee Brown TYF Newbie

Name:
    Baylee
    So today I had to buy a new battery for my 1999 two door Tahoe. I went to the closest store because my battery was on its last leg (advanced auto parts). They tested it and the computer said the battery was bad. Well after purchasing a new battery, the employee offered to install it as they always do. As I left the tahoe sounded like the starter was bad and had some weird noises. I stopped at another advanced auto parts and wanted them to check my alternator and starter because of this and with further inspection I noticed the negative cable wasn't even connected, only the winch cable (negative) was connected to the battery. So my question for readers is what can go wrong electronically for this kind of mistake by an employee at advanced auto? The only ground it had was from my winch that is attached to a brush guard that is bolted and welded to the frame, it obviously wasn't a good ground due to the rough start and noises. I plan on emailing advanced auto parts to see what they have to say. Any suggestions on what I should say/explain to them about the possible damage done to my electronics due to their mistake. I was honestly surprised it even started and drove in that condition.

2. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Full Access Member

Name:
    Wes
    ground is ground, your fine, all that would matter is if the ground was to thin in which case it might have not charged the battery nearly as fast, maybe cause some flickering lights, attach your battery ground properly and carry on.

eswarden, Sam Harris, RET423 and 3 others like this.
  3. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    ^^x2
    no need for further comment from me. well besides maybe giving that employee a bunch of shit next time i go there.

4. RET423

RET423 Member

Name:
    Ronald
    Guys who work at auto parts stores are are not competent mechanics, nothing was damaged with this error but you should expect to have your vehicle damaged every time you allow incompetent people to work on it.

5. Scotteg83

Scotteg83 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    I am a Store manager for an Autozone, I hate our policy to install batteries. I would prefer people either take the risk to do it themselves or take it to a real shop/mechanic. Too many times a "convince service" has turned into a PITA. And customers are always blaming us, whether it was our fault or not.

Texxxan, Sam Harris and Baylee Brown like this.
  6. GordoSD

GordoSD TYF Newbie

Name:
    Gordon
    That will help you a lot. This time it was a simple mistake that cost you nothing. Next time it will be deliberate and won't be cheap.

Baylee Brown likes this.
  7. Wedge

Wedge Member

Name:
    Shane
    I work for Autozone. Go to the zone!! Never to Advance :p

8. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    I still call it Discount Auto Parts but don't go to them as much anymore, Autozone and O'Reilly are closer and the latter usually has in stock what I'm after. Wasn't easy breaking a thirty year habit!

9. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    The ground was probably not as good because the first place ground traveled thru was the winch itself, unless I missed something in your post description. Having an ASE cert and running shops always left me with the feeling that I would install all my own components. I have allowed wipers to be installed, under my watchful eyes. They want to help but should be watched. Your rig, your money spent on the part and your decision to allow the help. The guy was just not used to seeing 2 cables at the battery ground but he also took it apart, so he should have paid closer attention and asked if confused.

10. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    I watched a female employee at AutoZone changing a customer's wiper blades one day as I was coming out the store. The wiper arm slipped out of her grip and slapped against the windshield with NO wiper blade on it! As you can imagine, it left a HUGE crack in the windshield. I just shook my head and left, glad that it wasn't MY vehicle she was installing wiper blades on.

PNW VietVet likes this.