Adjustable rear control arms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering the spohn adjustable control arms and panhard bar for my suburban. Pan hard seems easy to adjust just get axle center side to side. But I have no clue how to set up the control arms properly. Can anyone tell me or point me to a detailed write up on how to adjust them? Also how do you adjust the delsphere joints? I want mostly poly bushings but few spots they only offer the delsphere

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the adjustable rear control arms come set to the factory length.

The alignment shop would only adjust them to get the rear caster dialed in; not really DIY in the driveway type of adjustment; needs be done on an adjustable/flat surface that an alignment rack provides

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok will just have to make sure to mention it to the alignment shop so they know to check it.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok will just have to make sure to mention it to the alignment shop so they know to check it.

Yeah the front and rear caster is definitely an easy adjustment for a tech experienced with 4 wheel alignments.

But always mention what parts/components you have replaced.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Rear axle inclination is adjusted to set the correct pinion angle so your universal joints have similar angles at both ends of the driveshaft. Which can be determined with an angle measurement tool. Driveline vibration is common on lifted vehicles that get it wrong.

Caster isn’t adjustable on the rear. Or doesn’t exist I suppose to be more precise. There are no ball joints or kingpins. Unless you’ve got the unicorn with rear wheel steering.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caster isn’t adjustable on the rear. Or doesn’t exist I suppose to be more precise. There are no ball joints or kingpins. Unless you’ve got the unicorn with rear wheel steering.

Yes, in factory form aka OEM rear LCAs there is no adjustment for caster.

If you get the Spohn adjustable control arms, you can adjust the rear caster.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hey, I’m not really wanting to be pedantic, it’s just that caster isn’t the correct term for clocking the rear. I can see how easily someone could migrate that term from front to rear, it’s just that a non-steering axle cannot have a caster function. Adjustable control arms will let you rotate it, but that’s not the C-word.

It’s all good, maybe I was an English professor in another life.

mang213

Reaction score
The Spohn's are simple to install and come set to factory spec. You would only be able to adjust your pinion angle though. Caster is not adjustable here. The poly bushings on mine have failed after less than 2 yrs, and yes I kept them lubed. Haven't done any four wheeling either. The delrin bushings may hold up better but the ride is already pretty rough with the polys. I am leaning towards looking for rubber replacement bushings to see if they bring back the nicer ride

Sent from my SM-T978U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Spohn's are simple to install and come set to factory spec. You would only be able to adjust your pinion angle though. Caster is not adjustable here. The poly bushings on mine have failed after less than 2 yrs, and yes I kept them lubed. Haven't done any four wheeling either. The delrin bushings may hold up better but the ride is already pretty rough with the polys. I am leaning towards looking for rubber replacement bushings to see if they bring back the nicer ride

Sent from my SM-T978U using Tapatalk

What kind of grease did you use and how much? This is the instructions that came with my panhard #9 says the poly bushings need special grease or they will fail. it says that and also not to grease the delrin ends at all on the control arms instructions too.

IMG_20210417_173241310.jpg

IMG_20210417_173241310.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts