1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding an aftermarket radio to 07-14 FAQ

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by yates ™, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Gannon

Gannon TYF Newbie

Name:
    Wesley
    So just a little confusion reading through the thread. On an 09 Tahoe, installing a kenwood hu, do I need the parking brake bypass to watch while in gear, or can I tie it in with ground like back in the day? I couldn’t tell if if was by stereo, or vehicle. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH Cheeseburger and Fries

Name:
    Jason

I simply connected the parking brake wire to a screw on the body of the Kenwood. Worked like a charm.

Gannon likes this.
  3. cmyhre85355

cmyhre85355 Member

Name:
    cm
    Has anyone popped a u0184 code after installing an aftermarket head unit? I have a PAC harness (unsure the model I’ll have to wait until it warms up to look)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Gideon K

Gideon K TYF Newbie

Name:
    Gideon
    I have a bose Nav system in 2013 Yukon Denali XL. I'm planning to replace with Pioneer 8400NEX using Maestro RR. Does any one know if I need to HRN-RR-GM2 work or HRN-RR-GM5. Also for rear seat entertainment, I'm planning to add HRN-AV-GM5. Do I need anything else? Thanks in advance

IMG_0786.jpg

5. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Yep. The factory system can’t communicate with an aftermarket HU. Ignore the code but keep that in mind if you’re flashing any of the factory modules like driver door switch, hvac, bcm, ecm (as in installing a tune) with either a Tech2 or tuner like EFI live or HP Tuners etc because the programming can hang and brick a module unless you pull the fuse to it. Don’t ask me how I know. :mad:

Jason in DLH, 89Suburban and Fless like this.
  6. jasqid

jasqid TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jeffrey
    According to Crutchfield site, that radio does not fit your veh. However, I just installed The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX into my 2012 Tahoe and the GM2 harness was perfect. Your connections look exactly like what I just dealt with.

I would also recommend spending the extra 20 bucks and get USB aux port replacements and you can pop those 2 cig lighters out and make them USB ports.

7. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    The only reason Crutchfield says a lot of the HU’s don’t fit our trucks is because of the plastic cage that’s behind the stereo. You just need to cut some of it out with a Dremel or just grab it with some pliers and break it out if you have to. It’s not needed. There might also be a metal brace back there that needs to be removed. Otherwise you’re limited to the short chassis HU’s which eliminates most of them.

8. Gideon K

Gideon K TYF Newbie

Name:
    Gideon

Thanks for the info! I'll order GM2. Hope the player fits. I'll also add that USB port thingy. Just saw a video. Seems pretty nice to have!

9. Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH Cheeseburger and Fries

Name:
    Jason
    I wouldn’t go by what Crutchfield says fits or doesn’t fit anymore. They’re now telling me that the Kenwood I have doesn’t fit. It definitely fits and I didn’t have to trim a thing. I don’t know what’s going on with Crutchfield and their fitment guide lately.