Adding Acetone to your fuel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heyyy that reminds me. have you guys read the one where a Kid Put Nos into his motorcycle? Not the octane Booster. But the Actual Energy drink that looks like a mini nos bottle?

that was smart!

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I wanna try this stuff but I'm waiting for someone to try it first and let me know how it worked for them, cause other wise I think I'm too chicken to be point man on this one.... I have seen gasoline melt some plastic just at a slower rate... Get a computer mouse and let it sit in a bucket filled with gas for a while... I wonder if it would eventially disenegrate?????

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to use 1oz to 10 gallons in my 99 Malibu and 99 Mountaineer. its been at least 3 years ago and they are still running fine. no issues at all. i used a total of two gallons. every time i would fill up i would add 2.5oz to the Malibu and almost 4oz to the Mountaineer. I did get a slight increase in MPG but it leveled off so after i used up the second gallon i just stopped adding it.

I had forgotten about it till this thread popped back up. next trip to the store i will get me some more. I will research some on the Tahoe fuel system before i use it in it though.

just wanted to give my experience with using it.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Bad idea to put in your car. Good idea to put in an assholes car or a personhat owes you money and doesn't want to pay up. evil :)

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how about an experiment?
Someone mix it correctly to get 1/2 a gallon or less. In glass add a small piece of fuel line, a used o-ring from a fuel system and anything else one could think of in a fuel system.
Let is soak for 3 hours then inspect. Then let it soak until harm is done and see how long it takes.

And btw guys, there are no seals in the engine this stuff would contact. The fuel system is where your worries should be.

Want a clean engine? Run e85

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how about an experiment?
Someone mix it correctly to get 1/2 a gallon or less. In glass add a small piece of fuel line, a used o-ring from a fuel system and anything else one could think of in a fuel system.
Let is soak for 3 hours then inspect. Then let it soak until harm is done and see how long it takes.

And btw guys, there are no seals in the engine this stuff would contact. The fuel system is where your worries should be.

Want a clean engine? Run e85

X2, But you need a wideband O2 to determine how mutch you can safely run.
Given the size of our fuel tanks and how pig rich these things run stock.
I would assume (based off of other vehicals I hgave run E85 in) its safe to run 5 gallons ontop of 15 gallons of normal fuel.
BUT as stated, you must know your AFR's. E85 leans you out and to mutch WILL RUIN your engine.

Heck, you need to know your AFR's to run ANY of these fuel addatives safely.

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you'd need to see or care about a/f readings with 4oz of acetone mixed in 20 gallons of gasoline. I could be wrong though.

As for e85.. I wouldn't hesitate putting 5 gallons in a tank and topping it off with gas. The problem is that there's no benefit from doing that unless in my case it helped with the WOT spark knock I get with 87 octane. I might try that to see if it helps :)

With a wideband comes another issue. There are only 3 styles, one for gasoline, one for methanol and one for ethanol. Your readings would be everywhere but accurate using one for ethanol with gasoline and vice versa.

E85 has great performance benefits but unfortunately it's gouged at the pump too much to be worth using every day and being cost worthy.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
On my ram I used to put a additive that you can get at walmart in a red plastic and it would stop the engine from smoking like really fast and would keep it like that for a long time. Anyone know what I'm talking about? And I would put in he whole bottle after fuling up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjphi26

Latest posts