Added OEM back up cam to aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates looking to work on this project myself

Yeah, I installed the camera by using a dremel in the factory location. Forgot to post the rest...

Updated original post...

Obsession203

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this update now I feel a bit more confident in doing this myself did you wire it similar to the link you posted? other than adding the power converter?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this update now I feel a bit more confident in doing this myself did you wire it similar to the link you posted? other than adding the power converter?

I just hooked up the RCA I made from the factory camera to the pioneer radio. Grounded it to the metal and then ran the remote wire from the radio to the camera so it turs on and stays on while the truck is running

WhiteStripe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just hooked up the RCA I made from the factory camera to the pioneer radio. Grounded it to the metal and then ran the remote wire from the radio to the camera so it turs on and stays on while the truck is running

I don't have NAV or a rear camera but was wanting to do the same thing you did. I want to put in a Pioneer head unit and add the back up camera.

I just want to get one thing straight:
Did you run new remote and rca wires from your head unit to the camera or were you able to use wires that were already there?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to get one thing straight:
Did you run new remote and rca wires from your head unit to the camera or were you able to use wires that were already there?

Had to run my own.

fife2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Later tonight (hopefully)

If your applique doesn't have a camera now, it has to be cut. I have 3 appliques at the house now that I've been messing around with...

How did you tighten the appliques back on? I noticed others have complained about the bolts spinning?

Also on the factory camera there are 4 cylinders poping out the back. Did you drill 4 holes and then melt the pillars?

Right now my applique is loose.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you tighten the appliques back on? I noticed others have complained about the bolts spinning?

I used epoxy to keep the bolts in and not turn.

Also on the factory camera there are 4 cylinders poping out the back. Did you drill 4 holes and then melt the pillars?

I did drill the 4 holes and I used epoxy as well as heating the plastic to melt it.

bdatguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking to do this install soon. I actually have an aftermarket camera setup now, but I cannot see the bumper (which is what I really need!). I noticed in your pic of the HU that your bumper is visible. Is there something you did to get that certain angle? Or was that just where it landed? Because I have seen other pics of the oem camera without the bumper being visible. I don't want to buy it and be in the same position I'm in now...

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking to do this install soon. I actually have an aftermarket camera setup now, but I cannot see the bumper (which is what I really need!). I noticed in your pic of the HU that your bumper is visible. Is there something you did to get that certain angle? Or was that just where it landed? Because I have seen other pics of the oem camera without the bumper being visible. I don't want to buy it and be in the same position I'm in now...

From my understanding that's just where the camera angle is with the OEM camera