Actual hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Decrow

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the true HP output of your Hybrid is, has anyone Dyno tested theirs?
Here is an excerpt from a review of the 2012 Tahoe Hybrid:
Car Review: 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
By car review editor on March 25, 2012
THE 2012 CHEVROLET TAHOE HYBRID REVIEW
Summary Review by Tess: A Surprisingly Good Idea

As a hybrid SUV that doesn’t offer astronomical fuel economy, the 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid is one of the more interesting vehicles on the market. Its combination of a massive 6.0-liter V-8 engine and two electric motors allow the Tahoe to manage gas mileage of 20 miles per gallon in the city. This may not seem like much until the size, weight, and eight-passenger capacity of the Tahoe is factored into the mix. Upon this realization, the hefty full-size SUV begins to look positively green-friendly compared to most of its competition in this admittedly sparse market segment.

Under the hood
The Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid is powered by a large 6.0-liter V-8 gasoline engine and two electric motors that produce 60 kilowatts each. The V-8 engine alone produces 332 horsepower and 367 lb-ft of torque; combined, the hybrid engine produces a combined total of 379 horsepower at the top end. This engine is available in rear-wheel and four-wheel configurations and is paired with a four-speed automatic transmission as the sole choice for buyers. Fuel economy is estimated at 20 miles to the gallon in city driving and 23 on the highway. Safety features include a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, stability and traction control, and antilock brakes.

If these facts are correct, then with my addition of CAI, Cat Back, and Headers, this could add an additional 20hp, for a total of 399 at the crank (not sure about torque increase). Lets round that to 400hp, and for parasitic loss of 10% = 40hp. 400 – 40 = 360. So I could potentially have 360 rwhp. And I still managed to get 25+ mpg on a 90 mile LA trip (Freeway, mostly in traffic).

CYKBC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynos are ballpark measures at best. If it feels faster commensurate to mod money spent, then you're in good shape.

I like my hybrid power train bone stock. It's quite an engineering feat. I was hesitant to even put aftermarket wheels on it and not one of my other rides past and present ride on oem wheels

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about the recent activity from hybrid owners! I was starting to think I was the only one here...

I too have not planned on any drivetrain or HP related mods. I am disappointed with the slow 1-2 shift point though...

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate those horsepower numbers are?.... One big complaint I have with my 2009 Tahoe Hybrid is how sluggish acceleration is from a stop, at higher speeds, acceleration is a little more acceptable. But its still pretty pathetic for a 6.0L V8 in my opinion. I think the problem is simply how damn heavy these things are !

I cant imagine how people with the 5.3 V8 deal with it, to me the 6.0L is barely adequate.

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
I don't know, I'm happy with my acceleration. I've noticed improvement in this since the bolt-ons.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
perfect example

tbss 4 speed made 315-325 rwhp and they were rated at 395 hp stock.

my 405 hp escalade with mods made 368 rwhp but 398 rwtq. 18 percent on that meens abotu 450 crank and like 480 tq

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about the recent activity from hybrid owners! I was starting to think I was the only one here...

I too have not planned on any drivetrain or HP related mods. I am disappointed with the slow 1-2 shift point though...

I don't think you're going to be able to fix that shift point. As far as I understand, that is the only shift point because the Hybrid runs a CVT... have you noticed that on a longer acceleration like getting on the highway, it does not shift once you are rolling?

I was told there is a CVT and a standard 1,2,3,4 gear box. Unless you are manually shifting, the truck starts in 1st gear and then hands over to the CVT when 1st has run out of room. So that delay is a pretty complex move from a standard transmission and an engaging CVT...hence the delay. I think during slow accelerations, the CVT is always engaged so you won't feel any shift as you transfer from electric to gas.

I think most people don't know there is a CVT because there is also a standard transmission and through some magic, the truck will decide which is the most efficient way to deliver power. So you may sometimes feel a shift, but most often, you will not.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
The reason the Hybrid is not quite as snappy off the line as you might like is two-fold: #1 is it doesn't have a torque converter, just a hydraulic coupling so it doesn't multiply torque on acceleration. #2, it has in most Hybrids a 3:08 rear axle ratio where the typical Tahoe has a 3:42 or 3:73. My previous Tahoe 5.3 has 4:10 gears and really ripped off the line so its been an adjustment for me, but getting 19.8 city versus 11-12 helps me not miss the snappiness so much.
Not sure how accurate those horsepower numbers are?.... One big complaint I have with my 2009 Tahoe Hybrid is how sluggish acceleration is from a stop, at higher speeds, acceleration is a little more acceptable. But its still pretty pathetic for a 6.0L V8 in my opinion. I think the problem is simply how damn heavy these things are !

I cant imagine how people with the 5.3 V8 deal with it, to me the 6.0L is barely adequate.

Hybrid-Theory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My understanding is the ICE is 332 HP and there are two 50 HP DC motors in the transmission equaling 432 HP. However it probably isn't that easy to calculate given how the two systems interact with one another, it's doubtful they both operate at 100% at the same time.
The hand off between the start gear(1st) and the subsequent gears(CVT) is indeed pretty pathetic, likely to avoid stressing the drive train with the torque from the DC motors. You can however "Trick" the computer on the hand off, when you are at taking off at full throttle(like an expressway on ramp) and you feel the lag, let completely off the throttle and then immediately mash it, the hand off will be instantaneous and you will notice the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz