AC left me hanging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in my Tahoe after work yesterday and was about to start driving when I noticed my AC wasn't working, not blowing any air at all.

I messed with that controls (temp controlled dual climate controls) a bit and accepted defeat and began my drive home in 95F+ heat with the windows rolled down.

Shortly into the drive my AC started working again, I don't know if I hit a bump or something or if my cabin temp sensor would cause the AC to not active?

It happened once so I am sure it will happen again, I want to see what y'all know about about these AC systems so that I am prepared next time this happens.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hmm that’s weird bud. Do you think it came from the actual ac controls itself? My rear console ac control went bad and caused the rear not to work and I had to replace the module/ac control to fix it.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy Thats what I’m thinking. In my Tahoe to set max AC you need to set the temp to 60F, with “auto” on, recirculation on, and the snow flake on. And that’s how I had it set but no air was moving. I started driving and suddenly the air started blasting Ice cold as usual about 120 second after starting it.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it could be the cabin air temp sensor because the heater doesn’t work unless I set it to max heat 80 or 90F can’t remember exactly. That clues me to think the the climate system can’t really tell the temp of the cabin

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I think it could be the cabin air temp sensor because the heater doesn’t work unless I set it to max heat 80 or 90F can’t remember exactly. That clues me to think the the climate system can’t really tell the temp of the cabin
That also sounds like a likely culprit I diddnt even realize there was a cabin temp sensor I’ve only replaced everything else under the sun (rear control module,front door and blend actuators, compressor and condenser, and one other thing I forgot the name of it) everything BUT the temp sensor lmao
I’ve never put mine in auto either it’s straight to 60 and full blast with recirculation on and that’s where she stays

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy I think there a couple of them so I don't want to replace the wrong one. I am going to do some research about a failing cabin air temp sensor

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Today is the first day that the AC didn't turn on for me since the last time I posted but today lasted almost the whole ride home. I took a video of what was happening. Things to note, the rear HVAC seems to work just fine when the front isn't working.

Usually when I get in my Tahoe and turn on the AC I can hear the servos in the dashboard moving but when this problem is happening there is no sound from the dashboard, like it's not even trying to run.

When driving I can feel cool air coming from the vents so I know the compressor is working, but the front blower and the servos do not work while this problem is present.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some research it seems to be the blower motor resistor. I went out and unplugged it and it has the same symptoms that were happening earlier today. Anyone else agree or am I off in the weeds?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good teamwork guys keep at it. Wish I knew more to contribute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts