AC left me hanging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Because of recent events I need to invest in home security. My budget for that is already less than $100… also just did my brakes.

How much is one of those bootleg tech2?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Because of recent events I need to invest in home security. My budget for that is already less than $100… also just did my brakes.

How much is one of those bootleg tech2?
They've been around $300 shipped. Curiously, they are not listed on ChinaCarDiags tonight, neither is the MDI2 I've been waiting for!

VXDiag Nano or similar is about $120 and works off laptop with bootleg GDS software.

Check out the Tech-2 owner's map and see who lives near you that has one. If they're on the list, they'd be happy to help. Don't think you're in Florida, if so, stop on by!

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Haha I appreciate that man. I’ll hit up the local car and off-road groups and see if they have one.

What do I tell them I’m looking to do here with the tech2? How will that help here?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Haha I appreciate that man. I’ll hit up the local car and off-road groups and see if they have one.

What do I tell them I’m looking to do here with the tech2? How will that help here?
For starters you'll want to view the internal trouble codes in the BCM for the problems you are having. Then you can move on to diagnostics, manipulating the actuators and output speed of the blower motor, check that the aspirator in the headliner is still working, etc.

Worst case your control module is going out and a new one would have to be programmed to the vehicle. A used one should work if the donor has the same options as yours HVAC wise.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened again today, i reached over and smacked the bottom of the passenger dash where the blower and resister are at. The air started blowing immediately.

I read somewhere that there is a known problem with the blower motor resistor connector getting melted so I will look into this

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

The blower for the front of the Tahoe quit entirely last week. Leading up to complete failure the front air blower would pulsate a bit before turning on all the way.

$50 later from Orileys I have a janky new blower resistor installed and now the front blower works again.

I would have preferred to grab an original blower resistor from the junk yard but they didn’t have any trucks as new as these there.

Problem fixed.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning it was cold the blower wasn't working again. I reached over and smacked under the passenger dashboard and the blower came on again...

I am going to put the old resistor back in and see if I can get it to work at all and do a better job of inspecting the electrical connectors.

Can't drive if I can't see in the morning..

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today there was a twist in my troubleshooting

This morning I had more issues, I smacked the lower dash and the blower came on just fine. After lunch I removed the under dash cover to started digging into troubleshooting and I could not get the blower motor to work regardless of what I did. Wiggling the wires or smacking it did not do a thing.

I inspected the wires carefully and none smelled or looked burnt.

I wiggled the wires all over and the blower never came on.

I used a multimeter to trace voltage all the way up to blower motor which was confusing because the blower motor would totally work fine once it was on. It looks like if you smack the blower motor directly or give it a spin to get it to start it will turn.

I put the old blower resistor into the Tahoe and same behavior happened where I had to mess with the blower motor to get it to start.

Everything is pointing to the blower motor itself now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019