AC Leak - Where should I look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
Truck is a 2007 Yukon Denali XL

I clearly have an AC leak somewhere. In mid April the AC quit blowing cold air, being a cool spring I recharged the system in early May and it went strong for about a month. This past weekend it completely went out again.

I took it to the mechanic today and they recharged the system with refrigerant with a dye. They inspected the compressor, condenser, fittings, lines, etc and stated they could not find a leak. They said to drive around for a few weeks and if it goes out again to come back.

Are there any common areas for these trucks to leak that aren't immediately visible? Any recommendations?

I don't believe it matters, but over the winter I changed the heater hose (the one with the stupid plastic Y connector). Anyway, since the hose completely cracked off, I was having a hard time removing the remnants of the hose and was jerking around in the area. The AC condenser is right next to it, but I don't think I did anything to it.

I should note I don't drive the truck very often, about 1-2 a week.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Could be rear evaporator leaking which is inside the passenger side rear panel by the tailgate.

You would have to pull the panel and look in there with a black light/UV light.

DSN46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be rear evaporator leaking which is inside the passenger side rear panel by the tailgate.

+1 on this. I had to have the rear evaporator replaced along with the expansion valve in the rear of my Suburban.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
+1 on this. I had to have the rear evaporator replaced along with the expansion valve in the rear of my Suburban.

Thanks for the quick responses. I’ll pull the rear panel this week to see if there is dye everywhere. I followed the lines to the rear yesterday and I don’t see any leaks in the hard lines (which I guess might be good)

Hopefully it’s just that expansion valve, I’d imagine that is one of the less expensive repairs.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
Still trying to track down this leak. Took it to a mechanic, recharged the system with dye. I found a small leak at the pressure sensor. Mechanic changed sensor and o-ring and recharged...few weeks later AC was down again

Took it back, they claimed to replace the high side valve core...few weeks later AC was down again

I took the trunk apart, inspected everything back there and bone dry, not a single sign of dye around the rear evaporator or expansion valve.

I bought a new red "dye" and will recharge the system myself. Anywhere else I should be looking?
Is there anything behind the dashboard that could be leaking? This is really driving me nuts

Good news is all components seem to be working. Does anyone have a diagram of the system? Maybe I'm not following all the piping paths?

This truck has so many little annoying problems

kbuskill

Reaction score
Still trying to track down this leak. Took it to a mechanic, recharged the system with dye. I found a small leak at the pressure sensor. Mechanic changed sensor and o-ring and recharged...few weeks later AC was down again

Took it back, they claimed to replace the high side valve core...few weeks later AC was down again

I took the trunk apart, inspected everything back there and bone dry, not a single sign of dye around the rear evaporator or expansion valve.

I bought a new red "dye" and will recharge the system myself. Anywhere else I should be looking?
Is there anything behind the dashboard that could be leaking? This is really driving me nuts

Good news is all components seem to be working. Does anyone have a diagram of the system? Maybe I'm not following all the piping paths?

This truck has so many little annoying problems

It's possible that the evaporator behind the dash is leaking. I would get under the truck at night or in a garage with the door closed and use a UV/black light to search for the dye. If you suspect it's leaking from the evaporator behind the dash then pay particularly close attention to the drain where the condensation drips out and see if you can locate any of the dye around there.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
It's possible that the evaporator behind the dash is leaking. I would get under the truck at night or in a garage with the door closed and use a UV/black light to search for the dye. If you suspect it's leaking from the evaporator behind the dash then pay particularly close attention to the drain where the condensation drips out and see if you can locate any of the dye around there.
Thanks, I've spent many late nights crawled under the truck looking for traces of dye...no luck so far.

I'm hoping this red "dye" like stuff is easier to locate.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks, I've spent many late nights crawled under the truck looking for traces of dye...no luck so far.

I'm hoping this red "dye" like stuff is easier to locate.

We're you using a UV/black light??? The green glows pretty good when the light hits it.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
We're you using a UV/black light??? The green glows pretty good when the light hits it.
Yes, the shop used the green dye. I found it at the pressure sensor so I know what it looks like...but can't find more of it elsewhere. (using blacklight and the yellow glasses)

Pressure sensor replaced, few weeks later refrigerant was out.
Valve core replaced, few weeks later refrigerant was out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the shop used the green dye. I found it at the pressure sensor so I know what it looks like...but can't find more of it elsewhere. (using blacklight and the yellow glasses)

Pressure sensor replaced, few weeks later refrigerant was out.
Valve core replaced, few weeks later refrigerant was out.

So what has happened since Larry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9