1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC Delco Rotors

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by RossM, Apr 4, 2019.

1. RossM

RossM Member

Name:
    Ross
    Anybody use AC Delco severe duty rotors? I have a 2017 Denali.
    Thanks

2. badbrad10

badbrad10 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Last time i bought AC delco brake rotors from the dealer they came in a white box. Made in china, no better than the cheapest rotors at NAPA. Waste of time.

ivin74 likes this.
  3. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    AC Delco has three levels of quality. They are, in diminishing quality; OEM, Professional (Gold), and Advantage (Silver).

I believe Severe Duty is part of AC Delco’s OEM line, but not sure. Stay away from the Advantage (Silver) line. They are cheap and must be what @badbrad10 is referring to. Professional (Gold) is a little better, but I’d try and avoid if possible. OEM is just that, OEM quality. I would have no concerns with using it.

TheAutumnWind, Miami-Dade and 07Burb like this.
  4. sealandsky

sealandsky Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    Got my ride back from the dealer last week after being there for 10 days for a list of issues. One issue was the brakes shuddering and feeling weak. They found all 4 rotors were warped (including my front GM Brembo HD rotors). So I guess even the "best" OEM equipment isn't all that robust. 18K miles and I'm not expecting the now thinner rotors to last very long - Need an upgrade.

wjburken likes this.
  5. STORMIN08

STORMIN08 Full Access Member

Name:
    shawn
    in al seriousness...it only takes 1 very hard, long breaking to ruin a rotor...if you ride or heat the rotor and stay on the pedal without moving for a length of time...it will heat soak and warp the rotor. always best to try and pedal the brake or roll and pedal to allow the heat to move around

Miami-Dade and swathdiver like this.
  6. CMoore711

CMoore711 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chad
    That’s disappointing to hear, especially for such an expensive front brake upgrade. But as what was previously posted there are a lot of varying factors that can make brakes go bad; Sometimes it doesn’t take much. That being said I would think a $2,500 GM/Brembo upgrade would be able to withstand far more than “normal” abuse.

TheAutumnWind likes this.
  7. hcvone

hcvone Full Access Member

Name:
    Carl
    I was told after 200 miles to bed or seat the brakes with my GM big brakes, thank god it's not like the carbon ceramic Z06 or ZR1 brakes process, it was mild slowing from 35-5, then harder, then from 50-5, then harder stops, then a brake cool down of a few miles without using the brakes, time will tell but so far so good

8. sealandsky

sealandsky Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    I'm taking a hard look at Willwood and Baer or retrofit the Callaway brake package. Should have just done the Callaway brakes from the get-go.

9. Tiredmechanic23

Tiredmechanic23 Full Access Member

Name:
    Brandon
    This right here is exactly it. Metal is going to warp when it gets to hot. Does not matter what brand it is. Pulse the brakes when stopping hard or plan early and use light braking early. Even factory Brembo can handle only so much these vehicles are heavy and are not race cars no matter how hard we push them they have limits. Riding the brake hard and never letting it cool is going to kill any of them.

Very similar to the procedure I had to go through when I switched my Cobalt SS over to all EBC pads and rotors.

10. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    I buy only GM OE brakes as replacement parts. The original calipers were Australian, PBR Brakes USA and the replacement OE calipers and rotors are by Akebono, a Japanese company and also made in the USA. The truck stops on a dime for what it is.

Miami-Dade likes this.